Bacteria for Brackish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

StubbsTheStubby

Registered Member
Jun 23, 2017
Hello!

Just had a thought running around in my head and was wondering if anyone here might know:

Basically, since brackish water is halfway between freshwater and marine, would it be better to use freshwater bacteria or saltwater bacteria? My train of thought for each is that the fact that there is salt in the water would make the water inhospitable for the freshwater bacteria but at the same time, there might now be enough salt for the marine bacteria to survive either.

Any advice?

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Are you talking about bacteria you would buy in a bottle? If so, either way it will likely die off. Bacteria can die with minute swings in parameters, of course, not all of it will die off and it will replace quickly. But I myself don't really trust bottled bacteria. I think the best would be to get the salinity to where you want it and then do a fishless cycle allowing the bacteria to build naturally.

Reactions: OrionGirl

Chasmodes

AC Members
Nov 10, 2016
Supposedly, if the sg is 1.009 or higher, SW bacteria predominiate. If it's less, then FW. When I set up and cycled my tanks at 1.015 sg, I used the SW bacteria in a bottle. The cycle went well. The tanks have been up and running for several months now without issue.

If you are doing a fishless cycle without purchasing any product additives, let nature do the work. Drop a shrimp in and watch your parameters. Your tank will cycle naturally. Bacteria will find there way in.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I like to use real ammonia instead.

Reactions: Chasmodes
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com