HELP algae is taking over my tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Smokefire1

AC Members
Aug 15, 2017
Northern michigan
I have a 65 gallon planted african cichlid tank I'm having a serious algae problem it started with both brown and red that's mostly cleared up on its own but now I have green and a bluish green algae that's covering and killing my plants how do I get rid of it should I use chemicals or is there an effective natural method that won't kill my plants

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Can we have a picture? If it really is "Blue-Green" algae, you may have to use an antibiotic.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
How long are your lights on per day? What type of lights? Do you use fertilizer(s)? What kind? What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)?

I leave my lights on for 6-8 hours/day. tanker is right, antibiotics will kill BGA... but you need to address the reason for it or it will come back. I have a tank that, at certain times of the year, gets window sun for a short while. It often gets BGA at those times but it clears up with water changes & Excel dosing.

Smokefire1

AC Members
Aug 15, 2017
Northern michigan
Run the lights for about 9-10 it's a 100 led full spectrum light my parameters are ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 20ppm hardness is 150, kh 170ppm and ph is 7.9 I'm using an aqueon brand plant food with an api co2 booster feed once a week after the water change and daily co2 booster when I turn the light on

Last edited:

Dr. Aqua

AC Members
Jan 28, 2007
Near Montreal, Quebec
I have a 65 gallon planted african cichlid tank I'm having a serious algae problem it started with both brown and red that's mostly cleared up on its own but now I have green and a bluish green algae that's covering and killing my plants how do I get rid of it should I use chemicals or is there an effective natural method that won't kill my plants
You might want to get an Otocinclus, excellent little algae eaters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store