New CPD, curved, and floating. What's the deal?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaitlyn

AC Members
Sep 20, 2017
Hey everyone,

I recently purchased 6 CPDs (like, today), and when I got home, I made a snap decision to set up the 5 gallon I had purchased early as a quarantine tank. See, last time my LFS got a batch of 25 of CPDs in, only three were left after 24 hours. Yeah. 3. AKA, bad batch. So this time I'm not taking any chances. quarantine until I know they will survive.

Well, one is already having issues. He floats, and his body is curved. His body gets paler about halfway down his body (his tail is pale, head part is normal color), He doesn't try to keep himself upright, if he flips over, he flips over and just does not care. He's gulping as well.

All the other CPD's are fine.

What's going on here?

I'll try to post a picture.

Kaitlyn

AC Members
Sep 20, 2017
In the last photo, you can see where the distinct line is between pale, and color.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
That's a bad sign. No clue what would cause symptoms like that, but I'd be wary of any fish that come from there...that's more than a 'bad batch', IMO. How did you acclimate them? Kind of looks like 'the bends'...If that's the case, they might recover. I don't know what causes it, but saw it in fish I brought in from my tubs outside. They were in the same water, but with aeration. I was mortified, thought they were all dying. I added some Prime, in case there was an ammonia issue, and the next day they were fine.

That said...I am exceptionally picky about where I get fish. I'm comfortable buying from hobbyists, but very seldom buy from a store. The ones I do buy from, I know quarantine all their fish before putting them up for sale

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
We have had similar symptoms with some of our wild caught Danio rerio we weren't able to isolate the cause, but they didn't survive it. Are these fish wild caught or tank bred? It might be worth hitting them with KanaPlex, or another kanamycin med as that seemed to help with keeping the condition from happening. But there is likely no hope for the ones showing symptoms, at least IME.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store