Jewel Cichlid breeding ritual

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jewelcichs

AC Members
Aug 10, 2017
I finally got a pair of jewel for my fish tank and they always stock together but today I have been noticing that my larger jewel which I think is the male has been chasing my smaller jewel to the point where they would knock onto the glass of the aquarium. Im not sure if I should separate them or if this is just normal spawning behaviour.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
That's not spawning behavior, that is anti spawning behavior. He has territory and wants to keep it clear for a female that is ready now. The other fish is not ready now, so is an intruder. You either need to separate them or put in a divider that he can't get through but the smaller one can to give it an out until it is ready. This assumes the smaller one is a female, if it is a male it won't ever work between the two.

Drbales

Registered Member
Sep 9, 2017
To echo snakeice, definitely not spawning behavior. I've had a pair of jewels produce several rounds of fry and rarely did I spot aggression between the parents.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store