Confused..male or female holding eggs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Drbales

Registered Member
Sep 9, 2017
I have several male and female Victorian cichlids in a 75 gallon tank. Earlier today I noticed one of them--what I believe to be is a tomato or a flameback cichlid--appeared to be holding fry. However, as far as I'm aware, the females of the aforementioned breeds are typically bland in color and do not exhibit the bold coloration seen in the picture below. This particular cichlid has some red on his head and I noticed some white/light blue on his top fin. Please clarify this for me: is it a holding female or a male with some kind of issue? Thank you!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I wouldn't call that colouration bold, I would call it a female colour variant of the species strain you mentioned. The females of both the colour strains you mentioned have slight red on the top of their head and dorsal fins, while the males have a lot more blue than that. I am 100% sure that what you have is a holding female, but you could find out for yourself if you catch her and use your thumbnail or a pair of blunt tweezers to gently open her lower jaw and take a peak.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Looks like a female holding fry or eggs to me. Males cannot hold the eggs or fry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store