Identification needed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lerfdf

AC Members
Nov 9, 2017
I just got this plant today.
The lfs guy told me that they were unsure of the species but he said it is definitely 100% aquatic.
He said it has been in the tank there for a couple months and has been growing well.

Ive been burned buying aquatic plants before but since this was my lfs I decided to trust him.
Big mistake?20171109_141510.jpg 20171109_141604_001.jpg

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Not sure what it is but can guarantee anything about it? Doesn't seem right. Not sure on ID but doesn't look like anything fully aquatic that I'm familiar with. I am gonna go with fishorama's general idea that it is one of those plants that can survive submerged for a while but eventually dies. Good luck

lerfdf

AC Members
Nov 9, 2017
Apparently he was sure it's aquatic because of how long he had it in their aquarium.

Going to do some research, if it turns out to be green hedge I guess Ill just yank it, toss it, and cut my losses..

Will Definitely only be buying plants online from now on. Kind of a shame too that my LFS lost a lifelong customer over 2 dollars.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I don't know that it's really your lfs to blame. It's likely their supplier that "said it was aquatic" but better shops should know.

"hedge" may well live several months, with all the benefits of true aquatic plants...for a while, as I said. You can "try" to return it, but our local mom & pop shops need our business to survive. Don't judge them too harshly...or we'll only have the 2 or 3 "big box" stores & their limited choices. Online can be just as bad.

What size is your tank & what is your lighting? We can help you find "real" plants for your conditions. I have spent lots of $$ on true aquatic plants I had no chance of growing. Now I belong to a plant club so I don't spend much for plants...but I still kill some. Live & learn! It's fun!

lerfdf

AC Members
Nov 9, 2017
I will probably go to the LFS again but I for sure wont be buying something unless i know exactly what it is.
I prefer buying from the lfs. I can see that the plants are healthy and the exact size I want.

As for my tank, It's a 10 gallon.

Plants:
scattered ludwigia inclinata cuba(or similar?)
2 amazon swords
1 crypt
1 anubias (on driftwood)
1 java fern (rooted in gravel but rhizome not buried)
some java moss(on driftwood)

Bio:
6 guppies (1 male)
3 or 4 crystal shrimp
1 clown pleco

The substrate is plain aquarium gravel(no enamel; natural)

I put Seachem root tabs around the base of the plants once so far and I dose the water with Seachem flourish after every weekly water change (20%)

I run Diy co2 through a glass diffuser during the day, airstone at night.

Lighting is a cool white t8 normal output bulb placed just above the aquarium with an additional 14w 6500k CFL bulb in a clamp on light with a reflector right above the amazon swords.

Temps always at 75-78

The tank has been set up for almost 3 months now, Water parameters are always 0,0,5
8.0 Ph

I still need to get some Seachem Iron and a Gh Kh test kit but other than that the tanks pretty much done, Ready to move on to a tall 29 gallon :)

Thanks for the help, Im going to be going to sleep so I wont be around until the am. Goodnight

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
It looks like "Green Hedge" (Altheranthara Ficoidea). It is not "Really" a fully submersible plant, but can live for a long time under water.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, I think your 10g is well (over?) stocked for both fish & plants. Let it grow in for several months & several rounds of guppies (eek!, reverse ratio of male:female). What is your plan for all those guppy babies? What "amazon swords" are we talking about? Might be trouble there...Just throw the "hedge" away, you're done! & maybe for a 29g too. Step back & see what happens without adding anything...deep breath...& wait...

Reactions: OrionGirl

lerfdf

AC Members
Nov 9, 2017
The guppy babies will be going to a temporary 5 gallon until they are decently sized, then to the lfs who will take them in for free.

The aquarium is going to be an open top riparium once the plants start to fill in.

All the fish seem very happy, I really dont feel like its overstocked though. It seems like its just about where I want it but I need that 1 more plant to really tie the whole tank together.

This plant(the green hedge) was perfect but since its non-aquatic any suggestions for a similar green stem plant that will do ok with what I have?
Especially something that will grow good both above and below the waterline.

Also what do you mean about "reverse ratio of male to female guppies"?
I thought 3 females per 1 male was how they are supposed to be?20171110_091548.jpg

Heres a pic, sorry for the flash its lights out right now..
When the lights come back on Ill replace this pic with a much better one.

You can see this non aquatic plant on the left. A real shame I need to yank it out but it will be nice to have something a bit darker green there.

On a side note... The amazon swords will be mostly outside of the tank (at least thats the hope..) so that will free up alot of space in the water column.

Last edited:

lerfdf

AC Members
Nov 9, 2017
For some odd reason im not allowed to edit my post(?????)
Here is a better pic.

20171110_094349.jpg

Im not all that concerned about fish. The plan is to fill this tank with as many healthy plants as possible.
Fish are only here for macros.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store