Identification needed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Stocking is about more than bioload... it's about the physical space too. I think in this case the overstocking indicates that you have plants that will get far bigger than the aquarium... this might not be an issue for stem plants where they will grow long.. but swords will grow out too, which will take a significant part of your aquarium; you also need to take into account the size of the roots too.

I would expect 99% of any stem plants you could fine would grow out of the tank and have emerged growth with no problem, just remember that the look of the plant will be different if in or out of the water. If I had to do some sort of 'sword' plant, I'd likely go with chain or vesuvius sword, I'm not a fan of how big the majority of them can get.

When checking plants at your LFS, make sure they look like they would be able to keep them alive... chances are good with lots of stores that they receive them and they look good at that point, but they are also grown emersed in a lot of cases, so will need to convert to submerged growth... be sure you can identify both forms of growth.

lerfdf

AC Members
Nov 9, 2017
Yeah that was a big mistake on my part, Buying an unknown plant. I had no idea what it needed or how big it gets or if it even was aquatic...
Since the tank it came from had the same temps and was the same size as mine, I figured it would be ok.

As for the swords im hoping for everything except some stems and roots to be above the tank.

Im more concerned with the Java fern than the swords.

Everything in the tank is growing fantastic.

I think Im going to do what Fishorama suggested and yank the non aquatics then wait.
As the other plants propagate I should be able to fill that empty spot with clones + trim everything as needed.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You might move the smaller sword on the right to the "hedge" place on the left. Do you use root tabs (ferts) for the swords? A good idea ;)

I like your tank! But it will change as everything grows

Reactions: lerfdf

lerfdf

AC Members
Nov 9, 2017
Thanks Fishorama, Im very happy with how it came out.

I actually really like your idea and thats exactly what im going to do. Im gonna remove the green hedge and replant the smaller sword there. That will give both swords more space and fill in that void.

I use Seachem flourish root tabs and liquid ferts.

No macros other than fish, fish food, and rotting plant matter that I cant scoop out.
Will that be a problem?
Will I need another source of Nitrogen and Potassium?
I heard you shouldnt add Phosphorus because it encourages algae. Is this true?

Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store