58g Planted w/overflow and sump

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thanks Nancy. I've had a couple submerged spathe but it is rare. But not so rare that I don't have another one right now! lol I was quite surprised to see another one on the same species so soon.

In the 1st pic you can see an amano and a small berried female RCS on the wood behind it plus a male to the left of the stem btw
IMG_3827.JPG IMG_3826.JPG

The SRBN don't get anything special (yet) mostly algae wafers and the occasional veggie. When I kick this sickness I've had for a month (while being treated even) I will make them some homemade food though, I'm excited for that.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I'm sorry you've been sick. How's the SRBN with the ragged fins doing? I forget, is it in with another male?
Thanks. He passed away the next day. As far as other males it is still too early to tell, no bristles yet but hoping to see them soon.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thanks. It happens. Hoping to just chalk it up to a naturally weaker one, one was always smaller than the rest.

I couldn't capture it very well but the flurry of male RCS right now is pretty awesome! They're on the hunt! At least 20 of them visible at one time, which may not seem like a lot but I feel like I see so few in this big tank. It may also be extra fascinating to me since I've been up for 26 hrs straight lol

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
SInce moving the SR BN to this tank there have been several changes, none for the better either.

The one died within 24 hours (ok it was weak before moving).

The next smallest one has gotten SO skinny that I'm not sure how it's still alive. It eats and gets a big belly but it doesn't last. I've been trying to track feces but it was impossible. Today I caught the little bugger though and put it into a floating box for better observation. This same thing happened to my 1st pleco (1st fish ever actually) after a spawning but after research, help here, trial and error treatments I gave up and she lived more than a year after that before passing. She was like 6+ yrs old so it was acceptable. I concluded maybe it was some sort of injury from spawning but this guy hasn't spawned.
IMG_3856.JPG
IMG_3847.JPG

The other 2 are very active and almost always together which I haven't determined if that's cause they like each other or if one just always follows the other around to chase. I don't see too much chasing so hoping for the former. (Maybe they are stressing the little guy with their foreplay?) But they have developed a lot of dark spots. They had a dark line in their tails before moving and one had a couple spots but they have really spread since the move. It's like a freckling. (The 2 in my 72g have not developed this BTW and look really good)
IMG_3841.JPG
IMG_3842.JPG
IMG_3844.JPG
IMG_3848.JPG

And just cause they were eating here are some RCS pics, the berried females didn't come out though. This is during peak lighting so their colors are blah. Should have changed the lights cause I never get photo ops for them.
IMG_3850.JPG
IMG_3851.JPG
IMG_3852.JPG
IMG_3849.JPG

Group shot
IMG_3853.JPG

Reactions: dougall

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Maybe the SRBN's "caught" freckles from your spotty snails, lol.

I'm sorry the 1 isn't doing well. Are the others as red underneath, call it the chest area?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Are the others as red underneath, call it the chest area?
I read this a million times and couldn't figure out what you were asking. Today I look at it once and instantly understand! lol I don't know what was wrong with me that day, maybe being up for 22 hours (right now) helps my brain lol. They are slightly less orange on their chest area.

I moved the 1 that wasn't doing so hot to the 29g to be the only pleco and it seems to be maintaining a better girth now. Fingers crossed it rebounds.

For today's update....I just got back from a LFS going out of business sale! Unfortunately it has been going on for a week almost but I was deathly ill and couldn't go until yesterday and then it was snowing so there wasn't much left and even less I could actually keep in my water/tanks.

Start with the least exciting, 4 long fin black skirt tetras for $4. They were so lonely and I have a single leftover black skirt in the 72g so I said 5 almost makes a school and they will please the parents. My water is not ideal for them but the entire 72g community is not suited for the water I use now and some of them are 8+ yrs old. *shrug* We will take more about water in a minute.

Next, a dozen longfin leopard danios for $12. Ok I like long fins! The leopard is a nice bonus too and they can tolerate my water! And for that price I will just be pleased as can be to have some fish in this tank. :)

Finally, 6 celebes rainbows for $10!!!! This store NEVER has anything like these guys and they are exactly what I wanted (or furcatus or meteor minnows but I missed Rachel's sale of them AGAIN) and they were so cheap! I wish they had more cause they are tiny and who knows what sex ratio I will get. Being that it is such a small group and I can only hope to get A trio out of it, they will most likely go into a tank of their own for breeding instead of into this tank for show.

So what did I leave behind? Ugh, I literally forgot to ask for a better look a sultan pleco that was $10. Never heard of it before but kinda glad I didn't get a better look because they like it a bit warmer than I keep any of my tanks and info seems limited but the high of pH being 7.6 makes me a little leary as well. But man it's a cool pleco for $10 and under 6".

I also wanted the 2 albino channel cats for $2 each. 2 because that's what they had and it's good to have a back-up. They would go in the pond but I've been hesitant to get a channel cat for many reasons, good reasons but man I LOVE them. I love bottom dwellers and catfish in particular!

Nevermind all the cichlids I couldn't even consider *faint* But honestly at 75% off they were still the most I'd pay for them, so over priced IMO. Oh they have some monster oscars and syno cats that I just *drool* and a tank full of baby bichirs *cry*.

Oh and the blue "lobster" :( And the scissortail tetras looked awesome and schooled so tight but moving on!

Water - So they say their water is "soft" and 6.6-6.8 pH. Takes me 20 mins to get home so say 30 mins in the bag total before I open and test it. The whole "bag fluctuation" involves pH dropping from respiration and such, right? I opened a bag and instantly dipped my pH meter in there....8.1!? Ok, right. TDS was 500-600 (different bags). My pH is 8.2, TDS 200-300 so I decided forget acclimating I am gonna try to the plop and drop method again. Most of their TDS is probably salt and meds anyways. They are resting in darkness right now. I'll let you know how it goes.

EDIT: OMG sorry for the long post! I don't get new fish often. lol

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Lights clicked on! No one seemed to get startled so I snuck over and watched them and they didn't give a hoot so I tried feeding them. Now the celebes are about .75" and the danios and skirts are almost adult sized (1 skirt definitely is!) so feeding is tricky currently. I fed some new fluval bug bites community and crushed NLS flakes and everyone seemed to eat something so Yay!

I've been up for 27 hours now though and it's time for a nap! Hopefully I will see them again before the lights go out but I kinda doubt it lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store