One of my fish too slow to eat!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bhealy

Registered Member
Nov 14, 2017
Hi. My first post because I've just joined :)

Despite having a 60 litre tank a good few years ago I consider myself a beginner at present.
I have a small 23 litre tank just over 6 months now and I have 5 Lampeye Norman's that are in good health and eating well.

However, when I bought them a few weeks back the shop added another small fish by mistake, but didn't charge me. I cannot determine what type he is, but he is the same size as the Lampeye and was in the same tank as them in the shop. He has black spots on his tail.

He gets on fine with the others, but does spend a bit of time alone. My main issue is he isn't a fast as the Lampeye and I very rarely see him get a bit of food.

My tank is a Fluval Edge so its a bit awkward due to the ceiling on it to separate the fish at feeding time.

I was thinking of taking that fish out and feeding him in a spare jug every now and again.

My question is. Is that a good idea or would it cause the fish to become stressed?

I'd also like to know is my tank a too small for the 6 fish I have.

Reactions: ehsandehaghi

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
No, tank size is fine for the lamp-eye's. Is this a planted tank? I wouldn't remove the fish--that's likely to stress everyone, not really a great plan. You can try target feeding, or feed enough that the lamp-eyes eat their fill, wait a few minutes, and then add a bit more, see if it comes forward to eat without as much competition. Identifying the fish will be good--a lot of schooling fish will be stressed when kept alone, so in the long run, returning it might be best for the fish.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Hi and welcome to AC!

I wouldn't recommend removing the fish at feeding time, the whole process would likely be so stressful that the fish wouldn't eat.

How many times a day are you feeding? Sometimes spreading out feedings to multiple times a day can help slower fish get food as the faster ones won't be as excitable the second or third time feeding.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what the other fish may be. I think after a few posts you can upload a picture. That will help with IDing the little guy.

As for tank size, it may be a little over stocked depending on the activity of the fish, but bioload wise IMO you are fine. As long as you don't add anything else and are doing weekly water changes. Regularly testing water for about a month and watching your nitrate creep is a good way to help determine if you are over stocked.

bhealy

Registered Member
Nov 14, 2017
Thanks for the feedback guys

I have one live plant in the tank and a few fake plants and some rocks.

I only feed them once a day which may be the problem. I've always been worried about over feeding them and I think feeding them until the fast ones become full would be dangerous.

I do a weekly water change of 10-15% and all is fine. I never see food waste because I add very small amounts that they eat immediately

At present I feed them 3/4 tetra crisps (crumbled up) per day. That is less than one crisp per fish but they are small and it seems to work.. Could it be the case I'm
underfeeding them?

I will post a photo of him when I get the required posts

Unfortunately the pet shop doesn't take any fish back. They have a strict policy on that

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
With food competition, its not a matter of whether or not you are underfeeding. Its more about making sure you almost over feed to get them less interested in food, so that the slower one can eat. You can do this without overfeeding by spacing out the addition of food. So, you can add 1 or 2 crunched crisps, then wait about 30 sec and add another, then add another etc. That way its the same amount of food but more spread out.

I'm unsure what you mean by "all is fine," is this from a test kit? If so, what are the readings? Also 10-15% may not be enough to keep nitrate creep at bay in the long run.

bhealy

Registered Member
Nov 14, 2017
With food competition, its not a matter of whether or not you are underfeeding. Its more about making sure you almost over feed to get them less interested in food, so that the slower one can eat. You can do this without overfeeding by spacing out the addition of food. So, you can add 1 or 2 crunched crisps, then wait about 30 sec and add another, then add another etc. That way its the same amount of food but more spread out.

I'm unsure what you mean by "all is fine," is this from a test kit? If so, what are the readings? Also 10-15% may not be enough to keep nitrate creep at bay in the long run.
Yes I've done test kit and PH, Nitrite, Nitrate and Ammonia are good going by what the chart says.

Do you think I should change more than 10/15% water per week, regardless?

I will try your tip on feeding time, but as for my amount. Do you think 3/4 crisps crunched up is enough?

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
What is good? One person's good is not the same as another's. To keep levels below 20 ppm of nitrate, you would likely be doing 30% changes, unless heavily planted. I like to think of it as opening a window in a stuffy room. The more are you can let in the better.

Its hard to say if that's enough, it depends on the nutritional value and the individual fish. Keep an eye on their weight and see what you think. I can say that I will always recommend variety in the food, so crisps and then maybe some flake or micro pellets mixed in. Frozen on another day. So crisps, in that respect (IMO) are not enough. But in the respect of the quantity, you should watch your fish's body condition and determine from there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store