Hybrid tank - glass an acrylic?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

red devil

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Shenzhen, China
Visit site
I have seen posts about doing this but I want to make sure I have all of the details before getting one. I have a balcony on the east side of my apartment. 2/3 of the opening into the house is a brick wall, covered with plaster. It is solid and can probably hold a thousand pounds. I would like to put an aquarium on that wall. It is about 90 cm by 45cm. I want the aquarium to be tall, about 70 cm tall. (I know that I am going to need some pretty powerful lighting.) Once this is done, I am going to consider putting a mountain scene on the top back of the tank and have a water fall cascading into the tank. I want to make the back of the tank acrylic because I will be putting some holes in it, and it is easier to work with. Do I need some special kind of adhesive to bond glass to acrylic? Is there something special that needs to be done?

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Silicone does not stick well to acrylic. Acrylic panels are bonded with glue. Your best bet is to make the aquarium out of all acrylic.

Is your balcony enclosed? Aquariums don't hold up well against the elements and temperature swings can be a problem for the livestock.

Keep in mind that your aquarium will weigh about 750 lbs not including the rockwork for the waterfall. I would be mindful of the weight limit for your balcony. They do not have the same structural support as a house or apartment floor.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store