Turtles and pleco's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Termz27

Registered Member
Nov 28, 2017
Hi all, this is my first post here, i have 2 turtles, male and female, in a 350litre tank, with a pleco. I was looking for advice as to any compatiblity isues anybody may know of keeping them together, as iv noticed that in a smaller tank they started nipping on the poor guys fins, all be it this was in a 90l tank which has now been adequately increased,, and im hoping the space was the cause,(teritorial). Any help would be kindly appreciated.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Turtles are opportunistic feeders and fish are on the menu. But the bigger issue is that turtles produce a massive amount of waste which makes water quality very poor for the pleco. It would be very hard to keep the water clean enough not to cause issues for the gills of the fish.

Termz27

Registered Member
Nov 28, 2017
Thank you for the reply, much appreciated, so theoretically if i could but an expensive pump fit for purpose and maintain correct feeding schedule (added to the much larger tank) the problem shouldnt persist? Alternatively i was wondering about running some kind of mesh, to keep them apart

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store