Swordtails dying off one by one.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dan c

AC Members
Nov 28, 2017
Hi guys, new on here and relatively new to fish keeping. Have quite a small tropical tank, 5 tetras, male fighter, couple of loaches, and I did have 5 swordtails, all fish have been fine apart from swordtails which have one by one died off. Have two left this morning has just died and now that is showing to same signs of distress. Top fin down flat on its back, loss of colour, bombing the gravel. All other fish in tank fine including the other swordtail. Apologies for long rant, anyone could help I'd appreciate it. (Last water change 20% 3 days ago) thanks, dan

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
tank size?
parameters from a good liquid test kit?
how long has tank been established?
how was it cycled?
male fighter = male betta?
what kind of loaches?

dan c

AC Members
Nov 28, 2017
Tank is 50L - 2 large sponge filters. Live plants had fish in for 12 weeks.
Pet shop tested water for me today said all was fine but nitrite was a little high.
Cycled for 3 weeks before fish went in, just plants snails, fish food, filter bacteria boost that I bought.
Male Siamese fighting fish
2 female swordtails
2 Clown loaches
1 other loach I'm not sure if it's name.

image.jpg

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
If they say you have nitrites, your tank isn't cycled at all. The tank is way too small for clown loaches. The betta is also going to nip at the swords. You need your own liquid test kit.

dan c

AC Members
Nov 28, 2017
Didn't lose a fish for 10 weeks then swordtails started dying. Presume it must have been cycled. Aware clown loaches grow fast and large but they are very small now n I plan to get a much bigger tank in less than a year. Betta nips at everything including tetras. He's a knob. Just ordered an API master test kit.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I wouldn't presume that at all. "Nitrite was a little high" isn't exactly detailed level to judge how quickly it would affect the fish. Did they use dip strips, which aren't as accurate as a liquid kit by any means.

Last edited:

dan c

AC Members
Nov 28, 2017
Appreciate the time your taking to reply but what's your theory then? Your advice on the question asked? Is it the male fighter, no sorry male Betta chasing the fish that's killing them off? Possibly the 2 clown loaches I have in the tank that isn't big enough? Or possibly my tank isn't cycled even though what every tells me are the most delicate of the fish I have are looking very healthy, feeding well etc

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Tank not completely cycled.
Potential for poor quality fish, especially swordtails.
Proper QT of fish in isolated tank.
The betta could be nipping at them causing additional stress.

I don't think the loaches are an issue, but they also need larger numbers to thrive and can get pretty wild.

I'd minimize feeding, 50% changes at least every other day until you can test and verify exact levels.

dan c

AC Members
Nov 28, 2017
Hi just done a proper test on the water with api master test kit. Results are:
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 40-60
PH 8
So basically the pet shop was talking out it's arse.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store