Marineland Maxi-Jet for Circulation and CO2

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eeyipes

AC Members
Jun 11, 2008
Washington IA
I have a 36 gallon bowfront with plants and have been having some BBA issues in low flow areas of the tank.

I was thinking of picking up one of these ... http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...VEbXACh2psQwQEAQYASABEgJbQfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'd like to use it for circulation and maybe find a way to hook a DIY CO2 line into it to diffuse CO2.

Does anyone use this and like it? What size should I get for my tank?

Thanks!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I don't think I would consider using DIY CO2 in a tank this large... It will be difficult to keep consistent, and the lack of consistency is likely to cause more problems than it solves.

What sort of filter are you currently using? I would be more likely to use a canister filter with pressurised CO2, to be honest, and maybe split the return to get flow in more places.

eeyipes

AC Members
Jun 11, 2008
Washington IA
I have the mid sized Eheim Ecco canister filter. I've thought about using pressurized co2 but we live in a rural small town and I don't have a local source for getting co2 cannisters filled. I might consider splitting the return but the the flow from would be weaker ...

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
get a second canister filter then? I personally am not a fan of something so big inside the tank where possible.

for pressurized, I bet you do have somewhere to get CO2 from, beer distributors, sports shops, welding shops, that sort of thing.

If you are in Parker, I was there a couple of times earlier in the year.... but I didn't actually look around for sources of CO2 I'm afraid.. But depending how far you would travel, there's an awesome aquarium society in Denver with some incredible members, I would put money on someone there being able to help you out far better than I can.

http://www.coloradoaquarium.org/

eeyipes

AC Members
Jun 11, 2008
Washington IA
Actually, we've moved to nowhere, Iowa, and I haven't updated my profile yet, lol.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Unfortunately I know nobody nor anything there. But you really should be able to find some form of pressurized CO2,

If you use Facebook, I would strongly suggest asking on the AGA group page. You cannot be the first one in the area to be keeping aquatic plants.

You might also be able to use Excel, or some other glut product to be able to control the algae a little too.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I use a small Koralia powerhead in a 4ft 55g (pretty gentle flow) & a MaxiJet 1200 in a 4ft "river' tank (too much for your tank).

I don't have co2 but have had bba in the past. I agree low flow areas are prone to it, but also on filter returns (higher flow rate). I've used both Excel (or Metrocide) & hydrogen peroxide to help control bba. My technique with both was to remove a large volume of water (50% or more), then spray or syringe either on the bba. A full tank's worth just a little while (a couple minutes) before refilling the tank. Dead or dying bba turns reddish, so you can tell if the tx is working.

You should also keep an eye on your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite & nitrate, plus KH & GH). It's not clear what effect those might play but it's good to know.

What plants & animals do you have? Some are ok with higher flow rates, some not. What lighting for how long?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store