What is considered "heavily planted"?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would concur with ordering from Rachel... For what that's worth.

I don't know her water parameters off hand, I just know they are fairly close to mine (don't know those either)

But she is an awesome person. I'm just happy to live close enough to drive :)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Big boxes "can" have healthy animals, as can M + P's...it depends. I was only suggesting an Amano shrimp or maybe 2. Good lfs just scoop out the dead earlier, any seller has loses, it's the nature of the biz.

But sure, Rachel has qt'd her stock & is very helpful. Shipping can be a lot...just something to consider...there ain't no guarantees worth a gosh darn unless you want to pay for overnight shipping... again... if things go wrong. We're all getting into cold temps now, even in CA & with heat packs. Don't be in a hurry, spring is not so far away.

Jennifer G.

AC Members
Nov 20, 2017
Big boxes "can" have healthy animals, as can M + P's...it depends. I was only suggesting an Amano shrimp or maybe 2. Good lfs just scoop out the dead earlier, any seller has loses, it's the nature of the biz.

But sure, Rachel has qt'd her stock & is very helpful. Shipping can be a lot...just something to consider...there ain't no guarantees worth a gosh darn unless you want to pay for overnight shipping... again... if things go wrong. We're all getting into cold temps now, even in CA & with heat packs. Don't be in a hurry, spring is not so far away.
I have 3 tanks I have yet to even start. My 2 boys and hubby are giving them to me for Christmas so by the time I order plants, scape, and do my fishless cycles the weather should be warming. I'll order some fishies when I can start my veggie garden :D

I went out and got myself 3 clear storage containers that would be perfect for QT so if I get antsy and choose to buy local I can house them in there for 2 months and keep an eye on them. I need to invest in an air pump and add some sponge filters while I cycle my tanks just in case ;) Better to be prepared than not!

I'm aware any business that sells fish will have loss. They get shipments, fishies get stressed etc. I get it. But there are times you just KNOW that dead fish has been there for quite some time, since the other dead ones in the tank don't look as far gone.

I didn't see any Amano shrimp or any shrimp for that matter, just some catfish and a crawfish species of sorts. I still have loads of time to figure it out I suppose :)

Jennifer G.

AC Members
Nov 20, 2017
I would concur with ordering from Rachel... For what that's worth.

I don't know her water parameters off hand, I just know they are fairly close to mine (don't know those either)

But she is an awesome person. I'm just happy to live close enough to drive :)
Driving distance :eek: That would be dangerous for my wallet lol! "Rachel! Here, take my money! I'll have some of those, and some of those, ooooh those rocks and that driftwood look good!"

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Probably 90% of our animals come from her.

Luckily there's a finite amount of space in aquariums, and we try to keep them alive too.. so there's little need to buty too much.

But I do have a habit of just buying all of a particular species that she has... Getting 30 or 40 silver kuhlie loaches would spring to mind.

But she is a great source of knowledge, and great to talk to too. So always a pleasure to visit... The way she takes care of livestock, and quarantines everything before making it available for sale speaks volumes :)

Jennifer G.

AC Members
Nov 20, 2017
Probably 90% of our animals come from her.

Luckily there's a finite amount of space in aquariums, and we try to keep them alive too.. so there's little need to buty too much.

But I do have a habit of just buying all of a particular species that she has... Getting 30 or 40 silver kuhlie loaches would spring to mind.

But she is a great source of knowledge, and great to talk to too. So always a pleasure to visit... The way she takes care of livestock, and quarantines everything before making it available for sale speaks volumes :)
Which is exactly why I'd be more than willing to pay for shipping for peace of mind and healthy fish & invertebrates!

Reactions: dougall

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Just gonna pipe in for another vote for buying from Rachel. She is about 3.5 hrs drive from me so I only get out there every few years or so but it is always great. Shipping is expensive because she uses the most reliable methods possible without being ridiculously expensive.

From memory (which is only about 70% reliable) her parameters are about pH 7.6 or 7.4, KH and GH like 3 or 4. Very normal lovely water. I'm a tad jealous lol

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, nothing against Rachel, love her! But if you can get local fish &/or shrimp, that might be better. Adapted closer to your local water parameters...I'm just saying...shipping can be a huge investment...& not very close to your "local" water...Research some more & ask Rachel, she'll tell you!

Reactions: Jennifer G.

Jennifer G.

AC Members
Nov 20, 2017
Just gonna pipe in for another vote for buying from Rachel. She is about 3.5 hrs drive from me so I only get out there every few years or so but it is always great. Shipping is expensive because she uses the most reliable methods possible without being ridiculously expensive.

From memory (which is only about 70% reliable) her parameters are about pH 7.6 or 7.4, KH and GH like 3 or 4. Very normal lovely water. I'm a tad jealous lol
Sounds like a perfect match! My ph is 7.5, KH 2-3 and GH 4-5 depending on water change. Sweet! I will double check with her though :)

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
This is my 55g I described above. Every one of these plants were plastic tube or bag plants that were in bad shape when I bought them (on sale). No specific ferts or CO2 added. Chunky black gravel with some colors mixed in. I don't gravel vac. Tank gets a weekly 25-30gal water change.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store