Mystery Snails

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Claire Vaughan

AC Members
Apr 15, 2017
Las Cruces, NM
Real Name
Laura
I have placed a few Mystery Snails in my tank. They are very interesting to watch and i enjoy them. Once in a while they turn over on their back and just lay there. They open and close. Sometimes for days. I had one do this for over a month. It never moved. I finally decided it was dead and took it out. It was still soft and I felt bad. Can someone tell me if this is a normal behavior for snails?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Usually they will be able to right themselves, but if not, you can gently turn them over. How much and what are you feeding them?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
It is common for mystery snails to get temporarily stuck on their backs but they can usually right themselves (only even seen a nerite snails die from this). But what you are saying is they are staying in their shell for long periods of time which usually means that something in the aquarium is bothering them, could be in the water or another creature picking on them. So, tankmates? Tank size? Water parameters? How long has it been set up? What is your source water? Do you use any conditioners, additives, ferts or such? Please be as complete as possible so we can better aid you.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
What else is in the tank with them? Some fish will bite at their tentacles or bodies, which causes them to stay indoors so to speak. I've had them wither and die due to this. Can always tell the dead ones when their trap door falls off.

On the other hand, I've had them flourish and breed, resulting in tons of mystery snails. So many that I had to give most away. I had purchased two brownish colored ones and two gold ones from Petco and wound up with ~100 gold mystery snails. They are kind of big waste producers and have specific feeding needs of their own, as opposed to little pest snails that you just let go.

Claire Vaughan

AC Members
Apr 15, 2017
Las Cruces, NM
Real Name
Laura
It is common for mystery snails to get temporarily stuck on their backs but they can usually right themselves (only even seen a nerite snails die from this). But what you are saying is they are staying in their shell for long periods of time which usually means that something in the aquarium is bothering them, could be in the water or another creature picking on them. So, tankmates? Tank size? Water parameters? How long has it been set up? What is your source water? Do you use any conditioners, additives, ferts or such? Please be as complete as possible so we can better aid you.
The tank is a 125 gallon and has been established for over a year. The water parameters are fine, except for the PH, which is high (8.2) due to the hard water in our area. All my fish have adjusted to the PH. I have never seen the fish on the tank bother any of the snails. I do use Prime for chlorine removal after water changes that are done about one a months. Water source is from the tap. I do partial change every 7-10 days. I have tetras, gourmies, 2 angel fish, 6 cory cats and one large pleco. They get flakes, algae pellets, cucumbers, squash and shrimp. I have Nerites too and I have never seen them do this.

Claire Vaughan

AC Members
Apr 15, 2017
Las Cruces, NM
Real Name
Laura
What else is in the tank with them? Some fish will bite at their tentacles or bodies, which causes them to stay indoors so to speak. I've had them wither and die due to this. Can always tell the dead ones when their trap door falls off.

On the other hand, I've had them flourish and breed, resulting in tons of mystery snails. So many that I had to give most away. I had purchased two brownish colored ones and two gold ones from Petco and wound up with ~100 gold mystery snails. They are kind of big waste producers and have specific feeding needs of their own, as opposed to little pest snails that you just let go.
I got the because I was told they will only produce in brackish water. None have so far. I have 5 Nerites as well. I feed them cucumbers, squash and Algae pellets.
I have tetras, gourmies, glo fish, danos, 2 angel fish. cory cats and a large pleco.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
The tank is a 125 gallon and has been established for over a year. The water parameters are fine, except for the PH, which is high (8.2) due to the hard water in our area. All my fish have adjusted to the PH. I have never seen the fish on the tank bother any of the snails. I do use Prime for chlorine removal after water changes that are done about one a months. Water source is from the tap. I do partial change every 7-10 days. I have tetras, gourmies, 2 angel fish, 6 cory cats and one large pleco. They get flakes, algae pellets, cucumbers, squash and shrimp. I have Nerites too and I have never seen them do this.
Excellent job being through in your answers! My pH is 8.2 as well so you're in good company (or at least understanding company). Everything sounds fine water wise so my guess is they are being picked on, most likely the angels. Or maybe your source water changed recently, I'd expect others to be reacting to that though.

Mystery snails absolutely reproduce in freshwater so that was some misinformation or you don't have mystery snails, still bad info. Can you post a pic to confirm species? They are sexual so you need a male and female and they will lay eggs above the water line. Meaning they will leave the water to lay them and if the water level is not lower exposing some glass to lay the eggs they will still search for a spot, sometimes leaving the aquarium completely resulting in death if not rescued.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Nerites will not reproduce in FW, so perhaps whoever told you that was confused.

Agreed, most likely cause is someone picking on them when they're flipped--What kind of tetras? Some are benign, but others can be absolute jerks.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

Claire Vaughan

AC Members
Apr 15, 2017
Las Cruces, NM
Real Name
Laura
Nerites will not reproduce in FW, so perhaps whoever told you that was confused.

Agreed, most likely cause is someone picking on them when they're flipped--What kind of tetras? Some are benign, but others can be absolute jerks.
Neons, Silver Tips, Black Neons and Rummy Nose.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store