Keeping the bottom of tall plants healthy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

red devil

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Shenzhen, China
Visit site
A few years ago, I took my plunge in plants with a small aquarium. I put anacharis in the back of a 14" tall tank and was pretty successful with it without CO2, extra lighting, etc. The tank had minimal lighting, a short yellow fluorescent bulb. The only problem that I had is that the leaves on the bottom fifth of the plant soon dropped off. The healthy growth in the top seem to cut off the light to the bottom. I am making a plan for a 24" tall tank and am wondering if there is some way to avoid this. I am hoping to use CO2 in this tank and appropriate lighting. Any suggestions?

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Not really, most aquarium plant layouts take that into consideration and use the midground plants to hide the ugly parts of the background stems. Some stem plants are worse about that than others, but it is just something to consider when you make the arrangement of plants.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
IME anacharis is not as easy to grow as many other stem plants. It like cooler temps. But any stem may grow bushy enough to shade their bottoms. That's a part of aquatic gardening...as is trimming off & removing the ugly bottoms, & replanting the pretty tops.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Amen on the anacharis. I've never been able to grow that in a tropical fish tank.

A 24" tall tank will take some doing in terms of lighting and the plants you choose

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Hello Red Devil, have not seen you here in a while (maybe it was just me). Most stem plants have this issue, unless you have strong lights. I too agree with all, Anacharis is not that easy to grow in an aquarium--too warm, not enough lights, ect.
The CO2 is nice, but without enough light stem plants will always look bad near the base.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store