Tank upgrade

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Beverlley

Registered Member
Dec 15, 2017
Leicester UK
Real Name
Beverley
Hi,
I currently have a Juwel Rio 125 litre (33 US Gallons) tropical tank which has been established since 2008. I do 26 litre weekly water change (6 US Gallons) and add aquarium salt and Aqua Safe..
I am upgrading to a Juwel Trigon 190 litre tank (50 US Gallons) The filters in the new tank are exactly the same as the old one. The new tank will be set up for Peacock Chiclids I've been told I can put the old filters into the new tank with some of the gravel and approx 50 litres (13 US Gallons) of the tank water and top up with fresh water, leave it running for a week then check readings and if all ok add fish. It makes sense to me but is it correct? Also can someone give me the correct Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia and PH range levels for Chicllids.

Thanks

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I would just use the filter media in the old tank, in the new tank. And some of the gravel. Fresh dechlor'd water, no need to use water from old tank.Ammonia,nitrite should be at zero and nitrate levels...less than 20, depending on your feeding habits and water change routine. There is no set in stone level for pH for "cichlids". Depending on which lake they are from, it may vary, as well as if you are breeding. Along with what your tap runs.

Reactions: Beverlley

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I agree with Bishop on the set-up.
You would Ammonia and Nitrite to be zero, and (ideally) Nitrates as low as possible.
PH near 8.0 is best for peacocks.

Reactions: Beverlley

Beverlley

Registered Member
Dec 15, 2017
Leicester UK
Real Name
Beverley
I agree with Bishop on the set-up.
You would Ammonia and Nitrite to be zero, and (ideally) Nitrates as low as possible.
PH near 8.0 is best for peacocks.
I would just use the filter media in the old tank, in the new tank. And some of the gravel. Fresh dechlor'd water, no need to use water from old tank.Ammonia,nitrite should be at zero and nitrate levels...less than 20, depending on your feeding habits and water change routine. There is no set in stone level for pH for "cichlids". Depending on which lake they are from, it may vary, as well as if you are breeding. Along with what your tap runs.
Hi,
Thanks for reply very helpful as was tanker's reply.
I only used about 16 litres of original water. I've dechlor'd water and added aquarium salt. I have used large substrate (looks like old bones) I rinsed the substrate thoroughly and scrubbed the rock with tap water. The water is cloudy at the moment is this normal? Tanks been running for about 12 hours now. Not sure if cloudiness is due to LED Multilux day and nature lighting. Water seems clear when lights are off. Very concerned about cloudy water, any ideas why it looks cloudy when lights are on but seems clear when lights are off and if you look into the tank from above. Or could there be another reason?
I decided not to use the 3d internal background as I was worried about algae forming after a period of time and as background is glued to tank would not be able to remove it. I decided to use the stick on exterior background, used before with no problems, but not this time despite spending an eternity making sure there was no bubbles. When lights are on bloody bubbles everywhere. :( not too worried about this though will apply my mind to covering it somehow. Unless you have any ideas.
Sorry about long post.
Beverley

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Cloudiness when first setup isn't abnormal especially depending on the type of substrate. Add some filter floss to the filter and maybe some activated carbon to pull any extra stuff out. It looks worse with the light on cause then you can see what's going on lol. It sounds funny but the light reflect/refracts off the particles making them more visible then when the lights are off.

If you are going to wait a week to add the fish then make sure you are feeding the bacteria or it will die off some. Just feed the tank like you would if it had the fish in it already.

Personally I would be hesitant to put peacocks in that tank and I have african cichlid experience. Considering you asked what the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels should be for "cichlids" I have to assume you have not kept them before as those levels are the same for every freshwater fish 0,0,<40 at the most. What you really want to know is GH,KH and pH which the answer to that is as long as there is some hardness (both general and carbonate 10+) and the water is pretty alkaline (7.8+) then stability is actually the most important factor. They come from VERY stable water conditions.

African cichlids are not a beginner fish so extra research may be needed. Prepared with the right knowledge they are super rewarding fish.

EDIT: re-reading this it sounds harsh. I don't mean it be though, I just suck at communicating. lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store