First Tank, 29 gal w/ high pH, will this be safe for an angelfish??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JenWit

AC Members
Dec 10, 2017
Beecher, IL
Real Name
Jen
Well, my gh/kh test finally arrived. Here are the results from our tank:
pH 8.4
Ammonia 1ppm
Nitrite >5ppm
Nitrate 80ppm
kh: 15 (~268.5ppm)
gh: 26 (~465.4ppm)

I did a 25% water change after this test since Nitrites where so high, I didn't want the cycle to stall

Claire Vaughan

AC Members
Apr 15, 2017
Las Cruces, NM
Real Name
Laura
I have angels in my 125 gallon and the PH runs 8.2 consistently. They tolerate it fine. have just read about the iridovirus in the gouramis. It's a concern for me as I have recently lost one of my 3.

Reactions: JenWit

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I have also started keeping an aquarium journal to document water parameters and quality along with maintenance, additions or changes made to the tank and such. So I will be able to look at trends etc.
Good on you! I have tried to do this a few times but always vere off at some point.

Well, my gh/kh test finally arrived. Here are the results from our tank:
pH 8.4
Ammonia 1ppm
Nitrite >5ppm
Nitrate 80ppm
kh: 15 (~268.5ppm)
gh: 26 (~465.4ppm)

I did a 25% water change after this test since Nitrites where so high, I didn't want the cycle to stall
Oh man, you have great water for african cichlids! One day you should get a 75g and some purdy rift fish.

Anyway, livebearers are an excellent choice for your water. You are close to done with your cycle, yay, but like fishorama said keeping doing the 25% changes daily to get those nitrates down. Even do a BIG water change just before adding fish to get nitrates as close to 0 as possible.

Curious what the test results are for post softener.

Reactions: lamar
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store