Can someone please help me identify what's wrong with my neon tetra?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

glitterSmudge

AC Members
Dec 20, 2017
Woke up today and found that one of them had a swollen belly? Is this some sort of an infection that'll spread? Any advice is welcome! Thanks!

IMG_20171220_171906.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Welcome to AC. Can you post a pic? Also tell us all about your tank: size, how long it's been set up, how long you've had the neons & any other inhabitants.
How did you cycle the tank? (did you?) What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)?

It may be nothing more than a female with eggs or something more serious like parasites. Hard to say.

glitterSmudge

AC Members
Dec 20, 2017
Welcome to AC. Can you post a pic? Also tell us all about your tank: size, how long it's been set up, how long you've had the neons & any other inhabitants.
How did you cycle the tank? (did you?) What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)?

It may be nothing more than a female with eggs or something more serious like parasites. Hard to say.
Hi There,

I did cycle my tank using pure ammonia and dr tim's one and only. Ammonia 0ppm , Nitrite 0.25 ppm Nitrates 10-20 ppm. I am including a picture. Thanks!

IMG_20171220_171901.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Wow, that is 1 fat neon! & you said this happened overnight? How long have you had these neons & any other fish? Any nitrite isn't good...but shouldn't cause this issue. That seems too fat for eggs...overnight.

For starters, I would skip feeding for a couple days (they'll be fine). & I'd also change at least 30% of tank water daily & see if that helps. The next thing I'd try is Epsom salt (the kind sold in pharmacy depts. as a foot soak). I'll have to think about the dosage but you'll want to add it gradually over a few days. It's pretty safe & can help with constipation & a tiny little bit with parasites. I believe a safe Epsom salt dose is 1 teaspoon/10 gallons each a dose until you hit 1 Tablespoon/10g...but you need to account for the water changes diluting that. (I have heard up to 1 TBSP/5 gallons but wait to see is you can tell it's helping before going there.) When it's time to remove it, do it gradually over several days of water changes.

If the neon is eating, you might order some anti-parasite flakes from angelsplus.com so it gets to you while you're trying the "easy" tx. (holidays, it may take a while)

How do the other neons look? How many of them & other fish do you have in how big a tank?

I know, tons of questions but we need to know to help. The good news is it doesn't look like the untreatable "neon tetra disease". Keep us posted on how it does. Good luck!

Reactions: glitterSmudge

glitterSmudge

AC Members
Dec 20, 2017
hey fishorama,

I haven't had them for long. My tank is a 9g one and I have a school of 5 neons. I eventually want to add 3 more, but I am waiting to get my parameters stabilized. The others look fine, they do chase each other,dont know if that's something to worry about? I am a little wary about adding too much epsom salt since I have live plants and I dont know what it will do to them. The 'fat' neon is swimming around, doesn't seem lethargic. I read about feeding peas to them for constipation. Would that work? Thanks for all the advise!

glitterSmudge

AC Members
Dec 20, 2017
Wow, that is 1 fat neon! & you said this happened overnight? How long have you had these neons & any other fish? Any nitrite isn't good...but shouldn't cause this issue. That seems too fat for eggs...overnight.

For starters, I would skip feeding for a couple days (they'll be fine). & I'd also change at least 30% of tank water daily & see if that helps. The next thing I'd try is Epsom salt (the kind sold in pharmacy depts. as a foot soak). I'll have to think about the dosage but you'll want to add it gradually over a few days. It's pretty safe & can help with constipation & a tiny little bit with parasites. I believe a safe Epsom salt dose is 1 teaspoon/10 gallons each a dose until you hit 1 Tablespoon/10g...but you need to account for the water changes diluting that. (I have heard up to 1 TBSP/5 gallons but wait to see is you can tell it's helping before going there.) When it's time to remove it, do it gradually over several days of water changes.

If the neon is eating, you might order some anti-parasite flakes from so it gets to you while you're trying the "easy" tx. (holidays, it may take a while)

How do the other neons look? How many of them & other fish do you have in how big a tank?

I know, tons of questions but we need to know to help. The good news is it doesn't look like the untreatable "neon tetra disease". Keep us posted on how it does. Good luck!
hey fishorama,

I haven't had them for long. My tank is a 9g one and I have a school of 5 neons. I eventually want to add 3 more, but I am waiting to get my parameters stabilized. The others look fine, they do chase each other,dont know if that's something to worry about? I am a little wary about adding too much epsom salt since I have live plants and I dont know what it will do to them. The 'fat' neon is swimming around, doesn't seem lethargic. I read about feeding peas to them for constipation. Would that work? Thanks for all the advise!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, chasing is what tetras do, it's part the schooling/shoaling thing. Tetras are not often interested in peas, but you can try them. You want to squish out the "guts" from the outer "shell" & mince/squish them into tiny bits (1 pea is enough for 5). I'd still fast them for a couple days, really they'll be fine & maybe hungry enough to try the pea.

The Epsom salt I said is a very low dose, nothing scary or druggy about it. But it adds to the TDS (total dissolved solids) of you tank water. That is why you want to add it & remove it slowly. Plants generally like it too. What plants do you have? Pics if you don't know, we can help there too.

What are your tap water parameters?

& where do you live? 9g is not a common US size...where many of of ACers live. But there are many "odd" sizes anymore...what are it's dimensions? You may eventually be able to add even a few more neons, that's be nice, huh? You don't have tell exactly where you live, a state or nearby big city will help. Internet paranoia & all that.

We all want you to have a happy healthy tank experience! Tell all about your tank please.

Last edited:

glitterSmudge

AC Members
Dec 20, 2017
Well, chasing is what tetras do, it's part the schooling/shoaling thing. Tetras are not often interested in peas, but you can try them. You want to squish out the "guts" from the outer "shell" & mince/squish them into tiny bits (1 pea is enough for 5). I'd still fast them for a couple days, really they'll be fine & maybe hungry enough to try the pea.

The Epsom salt I said is a very low dose, nothing scary or druggy about it. But it adds to the TDS (total dissolved solids) of you tank water. That is why you want to add it & remove it slowly. Plants generally like it too. What plants do you have? Pics if you don't know, we can help there too.

& where do you live? 9g is not a common US size...where many of of ACers live. But there are many "odd" sizes anymore...what are it's dimensions? You may eventually be able to add even a few more neons, that's be nice, huh? You don't have tell exactly where you live, a state or nearby big city will help. Internet paranoia & all that.

Hi fishorama,

You are absolutely correct, this a German made Eheim tank. Aquarium measures 14" x 12" x 12" high.

I have an anubias nana, java fern and some dwarf sag in there.

I dont know what exactly the parameters are for the tap water.

I live in St. Louis, MO.

How many tetras can be added to a tank this size, I dont want overload my bio-filter.

Thanks a ton!

glitterSmudge

AC Members
Dec 20, 2017

We all want you to have a happy healthy tank experience! Tell all about your tank please.
My tank, has a lot of growing to do but I like it.

IMG_20171216_122440.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store