fin rot? on my angelfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Khaleah

AC Members
Jan 4, 2018
Washington State
2 days ago I get a phone call that our Albino bristle nose Pleco died. I come home to look at the tank prior to doing a water change and find that both of my angelfish have what looked like a fungus eating their fins. I see them every morning and they didn't look like that when I left for work. I did a 50% water change and added Pimafix and Melafix to the tank. yesterday the other Pleco was found dead. did another water change and added more meds.

I have a 38 gal tank
2 angelfish
used to have 2 2" plecos

Moved 4 Platty's out of the tank a little over a week ago. (angels were beating them up)

Temp 80/81
PH 5.4 (i know really low)
Ammonia 0 (Api not a test strip)
nitrates and nitrites show 0 on the api test strips

Their poor fins are just shredded. I haven't had fish in a long time and 3 months ago I started this new tank.

I guess my question is, is this fin rot? and what else can i do?

Here are pictures of my poor babies

536785937001.jpg

536788591.jpg

IMG_1420.jpg

IMG_1424.jpg

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
You need to do all tests with a liquid kit.

What's your normal WC routine?

Fin rot is usually a sign of poor water quality.

Take all readings also on your tap water.

Khaleah

AC Members
Jan 4, 2018
Washington State
I do 20% water changes weekly. I will have to go and get the other liquid ones soon.

my water got a little yucky last week but after the water change it went back to normal

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Were any of the fish recent additions?

Khaleah

AC Members
Jan 4, 2018
Washington State
The angelfish spawned but the wigglers didn't makes it. that's when i removed the plattys. I did a water change when all of the eggs were no longer on the leaf and the pair no longer "cared"

Khaleah

AC Members
Jan 4, 2018
Washington State
Well I checked the water again. I had a liquid kit delivered same day. 0 for everything except my ammonia was threw the roof. 8ppm so not fin rot but massive chemical burns. I tossed my other ammonia kit since it gave me false readings.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Those burns can cause fin rot to boot. Repeated WCs untill that ammonia reaches zero by indication.

Get readings on your tap also. Especially pH on a sample that set out overnight. We need to find where that low pH is coming from.

Khaleah

AC Members
Jan 4, 2018
Washington State
My tap water PH is super low 5.4 and the ammonia is 0.

I did another 50% water change last night. which brought it down to 4ppm. I am going to do a 25% today when i get home.

Or should I do a 50% again?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
You might want to contact the organization that supplies your tap water. 5.4 sounds awfully low for supplied system.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sorry if I missed it, but are you using the API master test kit?

What type of filter do you use on this tank and did you recently remove/replace ALL the media in it?

If you're showing ammonia and no nitrates, either you never had a proper nitrogen cycle in this tank or it got disrupted somehow.

I'd have a good dechlor/water treatment on hand like Seachem Prime or Safe (granular form). It will detox ammonia temporarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store