Help with aquarium PAINT

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Daniel Unique Name

AC Members
Dec 13, 2017
I was looking for some large black lava rock 5-10 inches but no rock yards or landscaping supply has black lava rock other than the small 2-3 inch ones.

Now I'm simply willing to use any aquarium safe rock and paint it black. Maybe if i call around I can find large red lava rock and simply paint it...I've heard of tons of people using krylon paint for plastic on pvc in their aquariums but was wondering if that would work on rocks or if there is any other paints that would be better for rocks. I've also read ANY non toxic paint as long as it wasn't oil based would be fine. Doesn't seem to be much info online in painting aquarium rocks

Anyone have any ideas?

Edit Note: I need to have this done by Christmas and after boiling lava rock I wonder if I would have enough time for it to dry out AND the paint to cure by then... Any Suggestions on different types of black rocks I wouldn't have to paint or even nonblack rocks I could paint would be great too if they're cheap or reasonable like granite or something.

Thanks for everything

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Honestly, you might do better to DIY concrete bricks yourself. You can use spray foam to build a mold in a shape you like, make the concrete and use a non-toxic dye in in it to get the color you want. Paint on rocks is very likely to chip and flake off, potentially being eaten and caught up in the filter.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Strange, all the landscape stores near me have Black Lava rocks. I would look for other locations.
PS-- I would never paint rocks.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
If you're skillful with a hot glue gun, you could make big rocks out of smaller rocks. It doesn't hold together well if the rock surface is exceptionally crumbly, though.

Mark

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I would not recommend painting rocks, very likely to chip under water. DId you get this solved by Christmas? Still looking for advice?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store