How to raise PH?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Khaleah

AC Members
Jan 4, 2018
Washington State
My PH is super low. Even my tap water. My master api test shows 6 but that's as low as it goes. It's so light and doesn't even change when I put in the drops.

I have tried the seachem ph regulator to see if that would help and it barely made a difference. Still light yellow. I would prefer not to add chemicals but I will if I need to.

I have no fish in there right now. I am restarting the cycle after my fish all died.

Ammonia is at 2ppm
Nitrite is barely showing
Nitrate is 0

It's a 38 gallon tank

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Was that pH test done on a sample that set out overnight in a shallow dish? Does your source water go through a water softener?

Khaleah

AC Members
Jan 4, 2018
Washington State
I didn't leave it out over night just for the 5 mins as all of the other tests.

I do not know if it goes through a water softener. it is just the regular city water from the tap

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
It is usually best, IMO, to let the sample gas off overnight for a more accurate reading. The water softener would be in your house. Have you contacted your city water department to see what they supply? Sometimes their results are posted/available on line also.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
You might also want to do a test on some distilled water you purchase for comparison. There is also a chance that your pipes could be affecting what is getting to your tank. Are you using the high range or low range test kit? I only see 6.5 - 8.5...where did 7.8 come from?

Khaleah

AC Members
Jan 4, 2018
Washington State
7.8 is the flow rate average. (Far right of the picture) I will get a bottle of distilled after work and see.

I have tried the high range and the regular ph drops in the kit. It didn't have a low range bottle.

They are new apartments almost 3 years old. The water is very white/ cloudy when it first goes in a cup but that disappears with in a few seconds. Figured that is just extra oxygen in the pipes.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Ah...see the 7.8 now. If it is cloudy I'd definitely let it set out overnight before reading. The pipes are under pressure keeping gases in that can affect the results. Just as a tank refill can look odd on refill.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would guess that the cloudiness isn't oxygen, but is CO2.

This will cause the pH to be lower, and as noted above, will gas off if left to sit overnight. Might want to say what all is actually in the tank.. driftwood for example

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store