New Java fern turning brown

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

glitterSmudge

AC Members
Dec 20, 2017
Hey fellas,

I have had this plant for less than 2 weeks and it appears to be dying.I use ferts in my tank 2x week, including iron once a week. I use Flourish Excel daily. Is there something I am missing? Any help given will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
GS

IMG_20171226_122535.jpg

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Where did you get it? Plants sold in most stores are commonly grown emersed--above water--and the leafy growth dies off when submerged. You can minimize it by floating the plant, but usually the roots/rhizome portion (for a fern, that's the stem bit with hair-like structures) is fine and will grow new leaves if left intact. Snip off the dead leaves, and make sure not to bury the rhizome. Or, leave them in--dying leaves will often generate new plantlets from the tips.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Maybe verify that the rhizome isn't buried, and say what else is in the tank too (other plants, fish, etc).. and maybe the tank size, type of light, and the times it is on and off during the day (approximately if needed)

I wouldn't expect there would be much need to add any sort of plant nutrient for a Java Fern personally.

blissskr1

Registered Member
May 20, 2011
It's pretty common for java ferns to die off or melt like that when first introduced into a new tank. Usually though they will grow back even if it looks like they completely die and all the leaves fall off.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I agree with everything that has been said. It's common for java ferns to do this, usually they adjust to your water (or water in general in the case of being grown emersed) and re-grow. More details could help eliminate any other factors. And make sure the rhizome ( the horizontal root like structure) is above the substrate.

With all that said some people just can't keep java ferns alive, myself included. lol I have been able to grow almost every other plant I've tried but not java ferns even though I keep trying.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I have no trouble growing java ferns, unlike myswtsins. If tank parameters are too different than what they're used to they may pout & die back but they almost always regrow from the rhizome or dead-looking leaves. Patience!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Can you give us some details about the setup the plants are in?

Tank size
Type of lighting
Substrate
Stocking?

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Light level changes is something a mature leaf can't adjust for, and they either burn out or can't support themselves if the light changes by much. So in a new tank with new lights it is almost expected that there be an adjustment period where old leaves unsuited for the current light levels are replaced with new leaves. With Java ferns the leaf loss happens faster than the new ones grow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store