Hello from Canada

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

19Steve61

AC Members
Aug 19, 2017
Hello Everyone!

My name is Steve. I live in New Brunswick, Canada. I've had fish for 4 years, all bettas. I enjoyed looking after fish that had no tank mates. There was no one to bother them, I knew they were getting all the food, etc.

My last betta recently died. I decided to buy something different this time. I bought a 10 gallon tank, and yesterday picked up a dwarf blue gourami and 2 platies. They are all very active. I have read that some gouramis can be very shy but this guy is everything but. He is also eating very well. My concern is he seems to be getting all (or most) of the food. The platies have gone for the pellets and flakes I've given them, but haven't eaten as far as I can tell. I am thinking of putting the platies in their own tank, so I can be sure they are eating. I was always very careful about not overfeeding the bettas.

Can a gourami live happily on their own? From what I can tell, I don't think it would bother this guy. Would the platies be better off in their own tank?

Maybe everything will be fine and I am just a worry-wort. All I know is having more than 1 fish in a tank is new to me.

Anything anyone can tell me about gouramis and platies, their eating habits, etc would be wonderful!

Thanks so much!!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

Reactions: 19Steve61

Claire Vaughan

AC Members
Apr 15, 2017
Las Cruces, NM
Real Name
Laura
Hi Steve. Welcome. I too am fairly new. I have had Gourmies together with Platies and they all did fine together. I would think the Platies are probably getting more food that you think. The Gourmies I have had together did not get along very well. In my experience with them, they seem to do better alone that with other Gourmies.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Welcome Steve, Platys will get along fine with the Gouramis, but IMO, your tank maybe a little to small for them.

19Steve61

AC Members
Aug 19, 2017
Thanks so much for the messages everyone. A little has changed since my last post. My gourami died, the poor little guy. I decided to just stick with the 2 platies rather than get another gourami or another fish. I also bought a 5 gallon tank, and put one of the platies in it. The platies are doing great in their own tanks, and I find it easier feeding them, changing the water, etc, when there is only 1 fish in the tank. It is just what I am used to.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Welcome to AC (delay...). Sorry to hear about your gourami. Typically platys like to be with other platys but if they seem to be thriving alone then it's fine. Just keep it in mind that they may get lonely or "depressed". If you want to discuss this more you should start a new thread dedicated to that topic.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome back!

I agree that lots of fish like gourami do just fine solo. They prefer zero competition by nature. Other fish that are schoolers or shoalers will survive on their own, but won't behave naturally without others of their kind around.

If your solo platys are active, hungry, have good color, etc, keep doing what you're doing!

19Steve61

AC Members
Aug 19, 2017
Thanks so much for the comments! I really appreciate it!

I was happy, but a little concerned, when I heard from Pet Smart that platys could live on their own. They are doing fine. They are very active, hungry, and seem very content in their own tanks. Hendrix (red "mickey mouse" platy) is a little nervous when I clean his tank and prefers me to keep my distance, unless it's meal time. Nothing fazes my red-tailed black varitus platy at all. He is unique in that he was born with only 1 eye. I wonder how common this is? He is normal in every other way. I named him Happy!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store