HELP! My 3 cherry barbs are acting weird

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MusiCraze0

AC Members
Jan 13, 2018
they used to live in a very small tank but they were fine. However many people told me to get a bigger tank and I did, putting in some plants gravel and 3 Yamato shrimp together with my 3 cherry barbs. However now they show clamped fins and regularly stop swimming to float to the bottom or be carried by the water flow. They also stay at the bottom most of the time. They were not like this in the old tank they were very active so I’m very worried. P.S I know about cycling the tank but as I put props and water from the old tank I presumed the bacteria would follow from the old tank into the new tank. The new tank is a 10 maybe 15 gallons(never measured just assumed. It has a filter and light no heater as I live in a tropical country. Is it just stress from going into a new tank? They don’t seem to be eating. I have also temperature acclimated them. They also have rapid mouth movement so I’m guessing they are breathing hard?

72618223-EBC3-4BDD-B3FA-178660A72DA1.jpeg

8A490621-3F0D-4B0D-9A0F-7C92766B8DDA.jpeg

D1060B6A-309F-4DE9-AFE7-F6D5EE4A9666.jpeg

E475BF1B-3BE8-4F27-B34F-99C38FB329D8.jpeg

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Sorry to hear about your unhappy fish. Do you have a liquid test kit? If so what are the results please? What is your water change schedule? Did you move the filter and media over? That is were most of your bacteria is located. Do you see any white specks or patches anywhere?

I'd suggest doing a big water change ASAP. Clean water helps everything but this sounds like it could be ammonia poisoning and getting that ammonia out of the aquarium is paramount.

It's not that the water current is too strong.

MusiCraze0

AC Members
Jan 13, 2018
I do not posess a testing kit but in my opinion I do not think it is ammonia poisoning as the water was put in like 2 hours ago unless ammonia built up too quickly(does ammonia built up this quickly[stock 3 yamato shrimp 3 cherry barb couple of plants and Marimo moss ball]. It’s under stocked so I didn’t think that it was ammonia poisoning. :( however I’m currently not at home (need to go settle something) so I cannot do a water change now. I hope the fish survive I’m doing a water change immediately when I get back. Do I do 10% or 25% or bigger? And I see no white specks. P.S don’t plants absorb ammonia nitrates and nitrites? I’m very confused right now XO. I left like 10 min ago and the fish was still alive just a bit inactive and fins still clamped. Anyway thanks! I’ll post again if the situation changes

MusiCraze0

AC Members
Jan 13, 2018
Sorry to hear about your unhappy fish. Do you have a liquid test kit? If so what are the results please? What is your water change schedule? Did you move the filter and media over? That is were most of your bacteria is located. Do you see any white specks or patches anywhere?

I'd suggest doing a big water change ASAP. Clean water helps everything but this sounds like it could be ammonia poisoning and getting that ammonia out of the aquarium is paramount.

It's not that the water current is too strong.
I’m also obliged to mention that the fish were jumping right after I introduced them to the tank which is rare cause I never saw them do that before. I’m guessing some other bacteria/fungi was present or water perimeter was off from the start. I also used anti chlorine

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I do not posess a testing kit but in my opinion I do not think it is ammonia poisoning as the water was put in like 2 hours ago unless ammonia built up too quickly(does ammonia built up this quickly[stock 3 yamato shrimp 3 cherry barb couple of plants and Marimo moss ball]. It’s under stocked so I didn’t think that it was ammonia poisoning. :( however I’m currently not at home (need to go settle something) so I cannot do a water change now. I hope the fish survive I’m doing a water change immediately when I get back. Do I do 10% or 25% or bigger? And I see no white specks. P.S don’t plants absorb ammonia nitrates and nitrites? I’m very confused right now XO. I left like 10 min ago and the fish was still alive just a bit inactive and fins still clamped. Anyway thanks! I’ll post again if the situation changes
I suggest you, and everyone who owns fish, get a good liquid test kit ASAP. In a situation like this you will have NO clue what is going on without it, even then it can be a guessing game but best to have those tools at your disposal to increase your chances. If the fish were jumping after adding them that is a sign that something is seriously wrong, so wrong they didn't even want to be in the water.

So you filled this tank up from your tap I assume and then just a couple hours later moved the fish and everything over? If so, then it's probably pH shock or some other shock from being moved from one environment that they were used to a brand new environment. Did you use the old water from the 1st tank in the new one? If not, this was a 100% water change and without a test kit we don't know what the problem is so it's difficult or impossible to address.

This is a situation where I don't think a water change will help either cause it's already brand new water, adding more brand new water won't help. Unless there is something in the new tank making the water bad but again without testing we just don't know. I am sorry I can't help more. Only thing I can suggest is aeration to give them more oxygen and maybe gas out that fresh water bring it closer to the aged water they are used to, if that is even the case. Hope they make it!

BTW Ammonia does not build up that quickly with such a low stock level. Plants do absorb nitrogen but how fast depends on a lot of factors and if the plants are healthy or not. Your java fern and marimo ball are slow growers and hence do not suck up a lot of nitrogen quickly.

MusiCraze0

AC Members
Jan 13, 2018
I suggest you, and everyone who owns fish, get a good liquid test kit ASAP. In a situation like this you will have NO clue what is going on without it, even then it can be a guessing game but best to have those tools at your disposal to increase your chances. If the fish were jumping after adding them that is a sign that something is seriously wrong, so wrong they didn't even want to be in the water.

So you filled this tank up from your tap I assume and then just a couple hours later moved the fish and everything over? If so, then it's probably pH shock or some other shock from being moved from one environment that they were used to a brand new environment. Did you use the old water from the 1st tank in the new one? If not, this was a 100% water change and without a test kit we don't know what the problem is so it's difficult or impossible to address.

This is a situation where I don't think a water change will help either cause it's already brand new water, adding more brand new water won't help. Unless there is something in the new tank making the water bad but again without testing we just don't know. I am sorry I can't help more. Only thing I can suggest is aeration to give them more oxygen and maybe gas out that fresh water bring it closer to the aged water they are used to, if that is even the case. Hope they make it!

BTW Ammonia does not build up that quickly with such a low stock level. Plants do absorb nitrogen but how fast depends on a lot of factors and if the plants are healthy or not. Your java fern and marimo ball are slow growers and hence do not suck up a lot of nitrogen quickly.
Anyways thanks for the help... I think it was too much metal in the tap water. I changed the water but sadly two didn’t make it and the last one which is my longest surviving cherry named buddy(other two were bought recently) is looking like it’s on its last legs of life. I inspected the two dead and found no obvious signs of ammonia poisoning, (gills not red or purple) so I’m guessing it’s something else. The shrimp are perfectly fine thou so I guess it’s something they can handle. Thanks a lot for the support even thou the cherries did not make it. I’m probably going to stick with my shrimp until I’m am certain the tank can support fish life or I buy something that can help. I’m looking to buying some kits recommend any cheap ones?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Sorry to hear they didn't make it, hope the last guy pulls through. Amano shrimp are pretty tough. API master test kit is what most of us use, it's affordable and dependable. Right now there is 20% off coupon on Amazon too! The API GH & KH test kit is also good to have in your supply closet. The small investment in test kits is priceless, honestly.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Music- Welcome and sorry to hear of your isses!

Keep in mind that good dechlorinator products will detoxify heavy metals, ammonia, nitrite, etc. on a temporary basis. I use Seachem Prime and the granular form Safe.

Like said, we're guessing at what the problems were for you. Your issues probably stemmed from too large a water parameter change between old and new setups. More than the fish could handle.

MusiCraze0

AC Members
Jan 13, 2018
last casualty. RIP buddy. I’m going to wait quite a bit before I restock the tank with fish probs a dwarf gourami. For now it’s just the shrimp

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store