aqua clear 110 or tidal 110

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

corynelson84

AC Members
Jan 10, 2018
i'm planning on using HOB with my 2 sunsuns on my 125 gal and my 180 gal. Witch one do you prefer Aqua Clear 110 or Tidal 110?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
ACs are my favorite HOB. I have never tried the tidals but with them being comparable in price I'd stick with ACs and their great track record. Tidals do have all sorts of extra gizmos so if you're into that maybe it worth a shot. For me those are just more things to break lol.

Reactions: fishorama

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Another vote for the AC...pretty reliable IMO.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I have both filters currently in service and although the Seachem Tidal has some really nice features such as the heater clip, the screw type leveling adjustment, a better fitting lid and the fact it uses a supposed high quality Sicce pump, I would not buy another Tidal. I'd continue to buy the AC110 every time if I were in the market for a large HOB.

The media basket and size of the media is much bigger and more substantial on the AC110. The tidal is as loud if not louder than an AC110. No clicks, clacks or vibs from the Tidal, just a relatively loud pump whirring noise.

The Tidal allows water to be drawn in a top skimmer or the lower strainer tube and the flow is supposedly adjustable between the two with an adjustable thumb-wheel. Even so, nearly all flow is drawn into the top skimmer on my Tidal 110 no matter how I try to adjust it.

The Tidal's media basket is super flimsy and you have to be careful not to bend/break the pull tabs on the basket.

Having used pretty much all make/model HOBs over the years, I'd rate AC as #1 and these new Tidals as #2, mainly because of the reusable media.

Off topic, but I'm a sunsun fan as well! Have 2 302s in service. Good call fishorama!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I have both filters currently in service and although the Seachem Tidal has some really nice features such as the heater clip, the screw type leveling adjustment, a better fitting lid and the fact it uses a supposed high quality Sicce pump, I would not buy another Tidal. I'd continue to buy the AC110 every time if I were in the market for a large HOB.

The media basket and size of the media is much bigger and more substantial on the AC110. The tidal is as loud if not louder than an AC110. No clicks, clacks or vibs from the Tidal, just a relatively loud pump whirring noise.

The Tidal allows water to be drawn in a top skimmer or the lower strainer tube and the flow is supposedly adjustable between the two with an adjustable thumb-wheel. Even so, nearly all flow is drawn into the top skimmer on my Tidal 110 no matter how I try to adjust it.

The Tidal's media basket is super flimsy and you have to be careful not to bend/break the pull tabs on the basket.

Having used pretty much all make/model HOBs over the years, I'd rate AC as #1 and these new Tidals as #2, mainly because of the reusable media.

Off topic, but I'm a sunsun fan as well! Have 2 302s in service. Good call fishorama!
NIce to hear another hands on review of the Tidals. All reviews I've seen say the same thing, to the T almost. I always wanted a Sunsun, back when they were super cheap, but my Renas never gave out on me so I never needed a new canister filter lol.

Reactions: fishorama

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Next time I need to buy a canister, I'll look at Sunsuns (thanks to Joel), but like myswtsins, I still have Renas XP3s & a Fluval 404, it won't be soon, I hope.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Next time I need to buy a canister, I'll look at Sunsuns (thanks to Joel), but like myswtsins, I still have Renas XP3s & a Fluval 404, it won't be soon, I hope.
Oh I'd definitely keep those Renas and Fluvals going strong. Back before I bought my first Sunsun, I researched the heck out of all the name brands. I do have a Marineland C360 on my oscar/sev tank, but I got that for something crazy like $79 shipped during a super sale at DFS back in 2013-14.

Given they're all outsourced and very cheaply made now, I couldn't bring myself to spend what I've currently paid for my three Sunsun 302s for just ONE eheim classic 2217, etc.

They're so inexpensive, if you need spare parts, you're almost better off spending $44 for an entire unit to keep on hand.

Getting back to the Seachem Tidal thing, there's another negative I forgot to mention. The pump assembly sits in the tank, at the top of the suction tube. IMO, the problem with that is you have a fairly large black box sitting there taking up space in the tank, where HOBs like ACs only have the suction tube in the water.

I'm not totally bashing the Tidal. Like said above, I'd most definitely rate them as the #2 HOB because of all the options you have in terms of media choices, plus the other exclusive features listed above.

Reactions: myswtsins

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
^ Wow what a beautiful setup and fish! Great work there.

I agree on AC110s. If your setup and stock can tolerate the flow, I'd recommend an AC110 on anyting ~29g and up. Reason I say that is I never have issues with my 110s, where my AC70s and 30s often require a flick to the impeller to get it spinning after a power down and they often vibrate and make unpleasant noises. None have seen sand either.

Reactions: cyberbeer65
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store