Advice for stocking a new freshwater tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pynaple

Registered Member
Jan 16, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I had a fishtank years ago as a child and never had much success. I've spent the last several months researching fishtanks and this weekend I found a deal on a 5 Gallon Fluval Chi that I couldn't pass up.

I want to go as natural as possible with this tank, so I've gone with a plant friendly Flourite substrate, two leafy plants and one moss ball. I've treated the water to purify it, then added a bacterial culture and I'm just waiting for the tank to cycle before I put any fish in.

Based in conversations with the lady at my local pet store, who actually owns several tanks and maintains them herself (although I still take any pet stores advice with a grain of salt), I've decided to go with two very small Guppy's, an African Dwarf frog and a small Cory as well. Given the general 1G for 1" of fish this would appear to be adequate, but further research shows this may not be accurate.

Do you think this will overcrowd my tank? I will have another fish tank soon that I will be able to move fish to if they become too large, so consider it in the timeframe of just one year. Also keep in mind I am doing my best to maintain a healthy micro-biome.IMG_20180116_092727.jpg

IMG_20180116_092745.jpg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome! Cool setup!

Keep in mind, the tank isn't going to cycle on it's own. It needs an ammonia source that a living, breathing, eating, pooping critter provides. You may want to read on fish-less or fish-in cycling. Get yourself your API master test kit and a quality dechlorinator product that also detoxes ammonia, nitrite, metals, etc.

I would personally avoid livebearers like guppies in this setup, but I suppose you could have 2 males or two females in there.

I wouldn't do a single cory. Corys should be kept in large groups so they're most comfortable and natural behavior. I'd be more inclined to keep a male or female betta alone in this setup.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I had one of these. They're pretty, but in terms of supporting fish, not great. The 'filter' is underpowered and the light isn't adequate to keep anything but extremely low light plants alive long term.

That said, I'd go with a single fish, or forego fish, add java moss or subwassertang and go with cherry shrimp.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Welcome to AC! Congrats on the new setup!

Research - good! Discussed stocking but didn't buy anything yet (as far as I can tell) - better!

I agree with the above posters in every aspect. I think a betta would be perfect in this tank. Maybe add some shrimp or snails if your Betta allows it (add them first actually and betta last). Otherwise like Freshy said 2 male guppies and no single cory. ADFs are hard to feed but may be ok with just 2 guppys to compete with. Make sure you get them from a reputable source though as they can be susceptible to certain diseases. Shrimp are a great choice too.

I agree with the low light only plants for the Chi, but that's just what I've read (over and over again) no personal experience.

Guppies99

AC Members
Oct 13, 2017
Gday, love the set up the guys above Said most of what I would, as for amonia build up it will happen with the live plants in the tank they will emit a certain amount of amonia but it won't be enough to cycle the tank norm when u buy plants there will be snail eggs on there so they will build up a little waste in the tank but again not enough to cycle it..
I love the choice of fish might I suggest some cherry shrimp and maybe some endlers they are in the same family as guppies they will even cross breed with them but they are much smaller they can come in sme very cool colours the shrimp come n blue,red,yellow,black,black/red and a couple other colour styles they don't grow very large either so they don't get big and ugly lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store