Cracked bottom frame of 90 gallon... replace?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mditt8671

AC Members
Mar 25, 2013
I am in the middle of moving my 90 gallon aquarium to my new house. The woodgrain top frame center support broke a year ago, and was replaced with a black one. I took the opportunity of the move to paint the bottom frame black to match. While painting it, I noticed that one of the corners of the bottom frame had developed a crack about halfway through (not a complete break, at least not yet).

If this were an empty, unused tank, I'd definitely replace it. However I have about 15 fish living in a 45 gallon trash can in my living room. The trash can is heated and filtered, so I *think* they'll be fine, but I haven't fed them for several days due to the move. I'm not sure if it is worth it to order a new frame and let them live in the trash can for any longer than necessary... I know the top frame (especially the center support) is really important as it keeps the glass from bowing, but is it as important to the bottom of the tank, since it has a glass bottom that's siliconed all the way around? Could the water pressure eventually force the glass outward and cause the silicone to leak?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Any pics? Any signs of glass damage?

IMO, the plastic frame just holds it together so the initial assembly can dry. And somewhat for appearances. I think you find many tanks out there without any frames that are that size. What thickness is your glass and the exact tank measurements?

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Like you say, the main thing is the center brace on the top frame is intact.

I think the lower frame is there more to keep the glass from making direct contact with what the tank is resting on. I wouldn't worry about a bottom frame crack, but if you already have the tank empty and ready to work on, now is the time if it gives you peace of mind.

Your fish will do fine in their temporary home.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I'd suggest potentially adding an airstone to the fish in the trash can.

The smaller footprint will not allow for as much gas exchange

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
The bottom frame is holding up the bottom glass so it is providing support.

Depending on where the crack is I would lean toward it's not anything to worry about though.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
A lot will depend on how the tank was physically constructed. Side panels resting on the bottom pane or attached to its sides. I've seen them both ways, usually depending on the expertise of the company that made them. Is there any internal bracing of glass strips in the tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store