Is my crayfish sick?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Jan 17, 2018
Okay, so I got these 2 crayfish at the store and put them in the same tank. The slightly larger crayfish started attacking the other one so I put the bigger one in a separate tank. The smaller crayfish got pretty spooked and wouldn't come out of hiding. I accidentally trapped him under some driftwood and he got stuck for around 2 weeks without eating. I finally found him and rescued him. He still seemed depressed and hid, so we tested the water. The ph was high, but it's settled now. We then got another crayfish, and he still in there now. Now both are in there, but the new crayfish is walking around and the old one is hiding ( a few days ago they got into a fight, but the new one was no match for the old one.)

Point is, he has always been hiding. Now he is still hiding and won't come out, even for food (he hasn't eaten for at least a week.). Is there something wrong with him? he hasn't molted and doubt he will be soon.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
What kind of crayfish? Gender? How big is the tank and are there lots of hiding spaces?

Crayfish tend to do best alone, unless in a fairly large setup. They are very territorial, and unless given lots of hiding places, they are very stressed. I'd say 2-3 caves per crayfish is needed. They are also mostly nocturnal, so if there's limited hiding spots, it might be coming out at night to feed, but returning to the cave quickly to prevent the other one from claiming it.

Jan 17, 2018
What kind of crayfish? Gender? How big is the tank and are there lots of hiding spaces?

Crayfish tend to do best alone, unless in a fairly large setup. They are very territorial, and unless given lots of hiding places, they are very stressed. I'd say 2-3 caves per crayfish is needed. They are also mostly nocturnal, so if there's limited hiding spots, it might be coming out at night to feed, but returning to the cave quickly to prevent the other one from claiming it.
They are both male Mexican dwarf crayfish and are in a 10 gallon tank with lots of hiding spaces.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store