Newbie Plant selection

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Avogel1231

AC Members
Mar 30, 2017
Cleveland, Ohio
Real Name
Alek "Al" Vogel
Hello all, I set up my first tank a few weeks ago, it is a 46 gallon bowfront and I would really like to plant it. Currently, I have an amazon sword and a wisteria plant in the little plastic pots they came in and I would like to know some other plants I could use to plant it. I want a lush, higher almost jungle-like background and a more open front for the cories I intend to add. I will get a picture and test readings tonight when I get home.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
What light do you have and how much work do you want to do?

I'm sure we can likely hook you up with a few plants if you like,

Avogel1231

AC Members
Mar 30, 2017
Cleveland, Ohio
Real Name
Alek "Al" Vogel
I honestly don't know what light we have as it is old and we no longer have the package, but it was growing swords when it was last set up. And for work I would be willing to put in low to medium amounts of work.

Avogel1231

AC Members
Mar 30, 2017
Cleveland, Ohio
Real Name
Alek "Al" Vogel
okay, here are the readings:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrate:0
Nitrite:0
hardness:200
alkalinity:0
Ph:7.0

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Look at the bulbs in your fixture. They should say...T-5, T-8 or T-12, PC ? I've used all successfully...with the right plants. Take a pic with a ruler so we can help judge what you have, diameter more than length ;) but we want to know everything you can tell us. How old are the bulbs?

I've never had a bow front but it's good you want a space for corys, there won't be much light in the front & that will make low "carpet plants" almost impossible.

Cryptocorynes, dwarf saggitaria, & smaller vallineria are some plants you might do well with.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I have a 36 bowfront, the fauna are mostly cherry shrimp, potentially some dwarf Cory's.

It's running a dual T5HO fixture, with bulbs that should likely be changed. And I would say it's low light, maybe towards medium if I were trying to be hopeful (may just stick an LED fixture on so it's more consistent)

But as above, cryptocoryne will work pretty easily.. if you are planning hardscape (wood, rocks etc.) Then maybe some epiphitic plants would work well (Java Fern, bucephelandra, anubias) would be good too. I am not a huge fan of swords personally... They get a bit big.. and I think stem plants are too much work.

For flourescent bulbs, the T number is the diameter of the bulbs in eighths of an inch.. so T8 is an inch across, T12 is 1.5" etc.. for what that's worth. It might not say if the writing has been worn off.

But give it a go either which way and see what happens, don't go too wild, so you don't waste too much on something that won't grow for you.

And if you want heavy root feeders, like crypts or swords, look for a substrate that has high CEC so it will hold nutrients from the water, root tabs, fish poop etc. For something easy try Safe T Zorb (or however it is written) from Tractor Supply, or other such stuff.. it's pretty magic stuff :)

Avogel1231

AC Members
Mar 30, 2017
Cleveland, Ohio
Real Name
Alek "Al" Vogel
The bulb I have says F30T8 36", it's about 11 years old but it has been in storage for a good 10 years. It is in a cover that I don't know much, all I know is it's made by TD in 2006. that is pretty much all I know.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Sound like a 30W, 36" TIME bulb... Honestly I would replace, either the bulb or perhaps the overall fixture.

It might (might) work for low light, slow growing plants. But if you want medium, I would think at least twice that.

Avogel1231

AC Members
Mar 30, 2017
Cleveland, Ohio
Real Name
Alek "Al" Vogel
okay, I should be headed to my not so local fish store tomorrow so I shall see what I can get

Reactions: dougall

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
okay, I should be headed to my not so local fish store tomorrow so I shall see what I can get
I'm all for doing business locally, but I'd do some research and buy aquarium lighting online. You'll most likely get a better, more suitable product at a much better price by mail-order.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store