New To Severum - behaviour help please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DLV082

Debbie
Aug 23, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Real Name
Debbie
Hi All

I have recently purchased 3 severum, 2 gold and 1 green. The 2 gold ones are locking jaws and pushing against each other. It is normal and should I be worried. They even ignored the food I placed in the tank to distract them. This is the first time I have had this species in my tank, I was told they were peaceful!

Apologies for the shocking photography.
severum 2.png
severum 1.jpg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
What size tank are they in and how big/old are they?

It could be the male/female ratio is off and/or they need more space or decor for hiding and to claim territories.

I have a 4-5yr/old green severum that I keep in with a oscar. The severum is by far the meaner, feistier fish of the two. It gets aggressive every water change day and shoves the oscar all around for the day.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Your tank may not be big enough for 2 male Severums. The males will fight for dominance.

DLV082

Debbie
Aug 23, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Real Name
Debbie
What size tank are they in and how big/old are they?

It could be the male/female ratio is off and/or they need more space or decor for hiding and to claim territories.

I have a 4-5yr/old green severum that I keep in with a oscar. The severum is by far the meaner, feistier fish of the two. It gets aggressive every water change day and shoves the oscar all around for the day.

The tanks is a 180gal so it is definately big enough. I believe they are young as they only measure about 2 1/2" in length.

How do you tell what sex they are?? If that is the problem.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
The tanks is a 180gal so it is definately big enough. I believe they are young as they only measure about 2 1/2" in length.

How do you tell what sex they are?? If that is the problem.
Wish I could help with sexing them. I have no idea. My sev (and oscar) were tiny cute things when I put them in together. Maybe 1.5" at best. Fast forward to today and the sev is a good 7"+ and fat, as is the 9-10" oscar.

Great sized tank you have there too!

DLV082

Debbie
Aug 23, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Real Name
Debbie
Another question. Would putting more into the tank help distribute the aggression? I am under stocked and would love some more of these fish but only if more would help!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
It's worth a try IMO, given you only have 3 of them at the moment and the tank has the space. Just make sure it's what you want long term or have a means to return or re-home them.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I am not sure that over-stock will easy aggression. People do this with African Rift lake cichlids, but not sure about "New World" cichlids.

Usually males are bigger, more markings on face and head. Longer fins, ect then females.

The one on the right is a male.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I agree with tanker...but I think both may be male.

Can you post a pic of your green? It may be the golds are males fighting over a green female...or you may have 3 males with a smaller green not up to the fight...yet.

Your tank is big enough for 2 males but maybe not 3...

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Lip locking is a natural spawning behavior for them....not saying they are old enough for that. That's usually accompanied with clearing a site for the spawn.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store