10 gallon tank help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jazmin0303

AC Members
Dec 28, 2017
Spartanburg, South Carolina
I’ve been trying to get my own bucket and will be doing so soon, I just need to wait until I have money again.

I was making sure the water stayed as clean as possible and was going to do another water change soon.

From the research that I’ve done, I’ve read that Betta fish may sometimes bite their own tails if they’re under too much stress or if the weight of their tails is too much for them (too big of a tail, making it harder for them to move around). I mentioned tail biting because the rips were new, not even a day old.

They happened yesterday and got worse throughout the day, it wasn’t from the plants because it wasn’t like regular rips (long and thin along the whole fin). It looked like he had literally chomped off a piece from the tip of his tail.

Well I was standing next to her and she was holding the strip and the sheet up to herself, the sheet was a small thing on the bottle of the strips. I could see the colors but I couldn’t read the numbers, they were too small and I wasn’t close enough to see them.

Thanks again everyone. Unfortunately, Clifford passed away this morning.. the snail was on top of him when I looked in the tank, I guess it was eating him...

I plan on getting another Betta, but I’ll probably try to at least get the water testing kit, a bucket and some live plants in the tank first and leave it running a while longer before I buy another fish.

I appreciate all the help that I received. Thank you all for being patient with me and my mistakes.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Oh man, sorry about that.

Like said, get your water changing supplies in order, along with your own water testing kit and have at it again. You can do this!

Reactions: Jazmin0303

Jazmin0303

AC Members
Dec 28, 2017
Spartanburg, South Carolina
Oh man, sorry about that.

Like said, get your water changing supplies in order, along with your own water testing kit and have at it again. You can do this!
Thank you for the encouragement! I was thinking I might try adding Pygmy cories or neons tetras after getting everything in order but before adding the Betta.. I guess we’ll see how this goes

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm so sorry Clifford died, it's always difficult but especially the first time it happens. You've learned a lot & tried hard. I'm sure you'll do better next betta & you still have the snail to watch, they're interesting too.

When it's time for another betta, if there's a choice between a smaller (younger) fish & a very big 1, get the smaller. Of course you want a pretty colored 1 & may have strong opinions on fin types but once fish are adult there's no way to know age. Study each fish you're considering. Look for healthy fins, eyes, gills & scales. Not too fat or skinny, no bumps, lumps or white areas (dots or patches). It's hard to tell in those little cups but an active fish is probably healthier.

Reactions: Jazmin0303

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I agree, bettas are insectivores. My suggestion of tiny bits of pea were meant as an inexpensive, readily available treatment of bloating &/or constipation issues; not as a regular food. Daphnia is also fine...if your betta will eat it & you can afford to throw out most of each frozen cube of them for the amount 1 fish will eat... or risk introducing disease from "wild gathered" daphnia.

The OP is unable to afford a new bucket, in case you missed that. Peas, for vegetables, are relatively high in protein & fiber.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I would agree that bettas need to eat lightly. My several attempts at keeping female betta sororities in planted community tank settings were unsuccessful in the long term, because I couldn't specifically feed the bettas. They'd gorge themselves on what ever I was trying to feed the other fish and eventually suffer from what appeared to be blockages or bloat that I couldn't get them out of.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store