Stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Doug Romine

AC Members
Jan 11, 2018
Hey all,

So 60 gallon tank (4ft long)
6 Yellow Labs
6 Rusty cichlids
3 Red Zebra
3 Blue Zebra

Will this work for this tank?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
They're all Africans I presume? With the right decor and fiddling, it could work. Like any tank with ACs, you never know.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Male/female ratios?

Doug Romine

AC Members
Jan 11, 2018
Yes all Africans, and it would be 1 male to 5 female on the labs and rustys and 1 male and two females on the zebras. Should I get more zebras? I am not sure how many fish I can have in this tank

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
On the zebras, I would have 1M to 5F. The Rusty and Labs, 1M to 3F is OK.
PS--The Red and Blue zebras may fight.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Agree with tanker. The Zebras need the higher M:F ratio as they are quite aggressive. If your set on Zebras then I'd suggest sticking with 1 color morph and choosing the blue as it is the most different from the yellow labs. Yellow labs and "red' zebras are known to hybridize. Or OB zebras even. Personally though I would go with 6 labs, 6 rusties and 6 syno cats. It's an easy going mbuna tank with lots of color and activity.

I'd also suggest doing a fishless cycle and stocking all juvis at once. Aim for at least 10+ of each to get that 1:5 eventually.

What is your filtration plan?

Doug Romine

AC Members
Jan 11, 2018
@myswtsins I have already done a fishless cycle of my tank so it is ready to go. I currently have 3 HOB filters and I am working on getting a canister, just not sure when or which one I am going to get. I am planning on adding them all at once I have heard to do this with Africans. I do like zebras, I keep getting conflicting information when I do research. I have been told that blue and reds can go together as long as ratio is right and there are plenty of hiding spaces. I love the yellows and I love the rusties. Syno cats are awesome but spendy my LFS wants $30 each for them. Thanks for all the info everyone.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I have been told that blue and reds can go together as long as ratio is right and there are plenty of hiding spaces.
True, but in your original stocking the ratio is not good enough to disperse the aggression (1:2) hence my suggestion to choice 1 morph so you can increase the numbers (1:5) and get the right ratio. Your tank just isn't big enough to do 2 groups of 6 Zebras and it's better to keep the labs and rustys as they are less aggressive and better suited for you tank size.

Syno cats can be pricey but if you look for local buys through craigslist or fish clubs you can get them at MUCH cheaper prices.

Doug Romine

AC Members
Jan 11, 2018
Thanks myswtsins, it looks like I will have to decide on which zebra I like better or get another tank to put my current ones in. Tough choice as they are both beautiful fish. Thank you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store