Getting back into fish keeping

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

smilefactory

Registered Member
Apr 12, 2011
I've been out of the hobby for about two years and I kinda want back in. I'm thinking about buying a 60 gallon tank, but I don't know how to get it out of an LFS, into a truck or van and then up two flights of stairs into my room. I don't have any friends in town who can help me and I'm not that strong. Alternately, I'm thinking of trying out the Walstad method in a 15 gallon column and throwing a betta in there. Yeah I know, there's a bit of a size difference.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
"Kinda of..?" If you are not sure, I'd go with the smaller tank. Much less initial outlay and if you decide you want to expand later, you can use it for QT.

Reactions: myswtsins

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Excellent point Rbishop.

When you kept fish before what did you keep and how successful were you? Personally I think a Betta is bit heavy bio-load wise for a true walstad method. They also have a lot of health issues, betta just wouldn't be my choice for Walstad. Something small and tough as nails is best IMO.

If you really want that 60g tank you could ask the LFS if they can help or know someone that can help or even a moving company.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Dry weight of a standard 4ft, 55g tank is just over 60lbs. They're not bad for one person to move. Alternative is to buy/borrow a 2-wheeled dolly, set the tank on end on it and up you go. Other than that, I agree with the great advice given above. Shoot for something smaller to start with like a 20g long or a 29g tank.

Just curious why Walstad?

smilefactory

Registered Member
Apr 12, 2011
I had a 10 with Endlers and I've had bettas in the past. Then there was the 46 bowfront which had....a bristlenose pleco and cory cats that spawned and some other stuff that I don't remember that well. Then there was the 40B that had pearl gourami and more cory cats and some guppies. All were planted, all had meh results.

Eventually I'd like to have the 65 and the 15, I'm just wondering what to do first. I desperately needed help with the 40B and the 46 bowfront that I used to have, so I'll need help with a 65.

I wanted to try Walstad mostly out of curiosity. I've heard of the method and it looks like it doesn't require a lot of upkeep once the tank has been established. It's also one of those things where I wasn't going to read up on it unless I was going to do a project on it. I don't know, I've already got a CO2 setup and soil can get pretty messy. A 20 hex might be better anyway, I want the betta to actually have some room to move around.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store