I created a tank I truely love... thing is my corydoras keep up uprooting my to be carpet plants...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MusiCraze0

AC Members
Jan 13, 2018
help... I’m not complaining much this 18gallon tank has my two Dwarf gouramis(third one of mine died last week due to illness, he had dropsy and when I dissected the body, which isn’t easy for me I found out he had organ failure, organs had yellow and white patches, lucky for me I spotted it early and quarantined him so my other two were not affected), 3 corydoras(2 albinos, 1 salt and pepper), 3 ghost shrimp, 6 fancy guppies(newest edition). I’ve also added some plants like lucky bamboo, some carpet plant(I don’t gravel vac so I decided on carpet plants) I found at a LFS, three floaty plants for the gouramis cause I felt my java ferns and marimo moss ball wasn’t enough(it would be great for someone to help identify the plants. The only problem is the the corydoras keep uprooting the carpet plants. P.S I don’t use soil I use gravel cause I believe my fishes poop is sufficient nutrients for the plants. I can’t use super glue nor can I tie them down what other options do I have. Here’s a picture of the tank. Btw my dwarf gouramis are surprisingly peaceful only with the seldom chase, no nipping. They don’t flare up as often, and they leave my other fish alone. Ironically It’s more like the guppies own the tank now despite the two cousins of the betta.

97FF656C-34B3-4BC1-B7E3-55E7DB732DB3.jpeg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Your carpet appears to be dwarf baby tears (HC). It looks kinda pale, as it often does in lower light & no CO2. Don't blame the corys, although they're not helping it any. It's just a more high requirement plant that I can't keep either. No shame in learning what you can & can't grow well.

MusiCraze0

AC Members
Jan 13, 2018
Thing is the light is very strong and technically CO2 should be going strong as I probably just barely overstocked the tank, need to wait a couple more days to see if it’s successful or not but is there a way to get the HC to stay on the substrate? It’s annoying to see the corydoras dig it up every 10 mins or so. P.S it seems a little pale due to the light, it’s actually quite dark.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I meant injected co2 from a gas canister, not any other way. Really, I've tried many times unsuccessfully. Your HC seems to be shaded in many places. It's not a matter of justification of your light or surface movement...it just needs more! Lots more! to be happy.

HC has very weak, small roots. Even the slightly sturdier HM (baby's tears, not dwarf) can be easily uprooted.

I'm sorry, you've chosen a plant that not work well in your tank as it is now. Live & learn, lol. Carpet plants are hard to grow well.

MusiCraze0

AC Members
Jan 13, 2018
Oh lmao I’m going to see how it works out... I put some gravel on top of the plant to hopefully weight it down a bit. XD the gourami got a little annoyed with my arm in the tank so he bit me. Guess I’ll have to make do with a stick or something when the HC floats up again. In the meantime can you suggest a carpet plant that works well in gravel?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Try putting a few pebbles around the plants till they root, but most "carpet" plants do not have a good root system.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Are the guppies a male and female mix?

Was the pic during a water change? Just curious why the water level isn't topped up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store