Long time away from aquariums, coming back with planted.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, unless you have a ton of plants & other hiding places, any fry will be platy food. But that may not be a bad thing ;) with livebearers.

My reference to gonopodia is the male's enlongated (or not so much, cough) anal fin. It's used to fertilize females by touching it to the females vent (anus, poop chute...ahem, "area"). I don't see a dark "gravid spot" on your females (look it up, I'm already feeling TMI-ish tonight, lol).

Mostly, your fish look fat. You might safely cut back on their food a bit.

I agree with Freshy, your neons may well have been unhealthy to begin with & there may have been a bit of postmortem platy nibbling. Most fish will peck at dead ones, it doesn't mean they caused the death.

Keep up with water changing, that's always my first action after any fish deaths.

bren

AC Members
Jul 31, 2006
Upstate, NY
I definitely don't have enough plants for hiding yet. I will keep an eye on them and feed even less and see if it looses some of it's belly. The bigger one has really gotten big since we've had them. But really, I feed very small portions. BTDT before over feeding with a couple very big Oscars.
I went to YouTube to see what you are talking about with the gravid spot. Now that I know what to look for I'll also keep an eye out to see if that spot develops or not. I'd rather it be that than too fat lol.

I'm going to try not buying any other fish from the local stores now that I know there are a few people around the area breeding on their own. I don't like the subdued light at the store where I can't really see the stock close enough.
I'll probably be doing another water change tomorrow, and get some more activated charcoal to detox from the Ick treatment.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Sorry to not post pics of "gravid" fish, I knew you'd find some as fast as I could;) Now you know what to look for.

Are really done with the ich treatment? It's probably best to finish a full round of meds even if you're not sure that's what they had

bren

AC Members
Jul 31, 2006
Upstate, NY
Not a problem, I could have looked first but sometimes have a brain fart and forget the world of information is right at my finger tips lol.
I realized last night that I had one last dose before a 25% water change so I didn't change it. Another 24 hours and the dosing will be done.

bren

AC Members
Jul 31, 2006
Upstate, NY
Well I can say for sure the one Platty was just fat lol. Looking much better today. Although can't say I'm not disappointed. Could have been cool having a bunch of fry swimming around.

On the green side, I found someone locally who grows some really nice plants shrimp and snails. And also has outstanding prices! I'm going to wait on the shrimp and snails for a while but soon will be buying a bunch of plants. I'll update again with more pics when I get them. Gotta fix my truck first, had a pissing contest with it today and it won. New water pump on the way :(

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
There's always some form of life that gets in the way of our tanks. Nice you found someone local for stuff.

Just to make you jealous, I went to a plant club meet today & came home with a bag'o'free plants, 2 worm cultures & a belly full of good food. I love my club!

Reactions: bren

TetrisAttack

AC Members
Feb 16, 2009
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Live plant cuttings are weeks or months faster than seed from local aquarium society or pet store but can bring unwanted bacteria/snails so seeds safer for sterile situations. Not my house.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
How many truly aquatic plants will produce seeds?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
None of my plants have set seed :oops: AFAIK. But I do have a couple crypts growing emersed in a wabi kusa, who knows what might happen!?! Fingers crossed! for whatever...you never know :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store