Which Canister Filter should I purchase

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Phoenixjoni

AC Members
Mar 19, 2018
Bailey, CO
I am replacing and upgrading the filters on my 55 gal. Planted tank. I am currently running an UGF w/2 powerheads and a Whisper Ex70 HOB. They do a good cleaning job, but probably too much water turbulence for a planted tank. I was planning on keeping the HOB running as a 2nd back up filter.

My husband bought me a Fluval 306 (70 gal.) Canister Filter, but I am not sure it's okay for a 55 gal. My other choice would be the Eheim Pro 4+350 (for 48-90 gal.) Canister Filter. If you had to choose between these two what would you pick?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Canisters seem to have a following. Most folks will swear by the ones they have and hate the others, usually ones they had issues with when first venturing into them. Kind of like car choices.

I prefer Marineland ones and have used them for years without any issues, numerous models and sizes. Of the two above choices, a lot of folks will say the Eheim as it is pretty popular here on this forum.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phoenixjoni

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
And I am not of the Eheim fan club. :) For the price they cost I have had way too many issues but just like said above, I had problem so not gonna be a fan. Not even gonna get into brands I do like because I say go with what you already have (if it works). You have the fluval not the eheim right? I think that fluval will be just fine on your 55. Circulation is important in a planted tank to distribute nutrients so you want a good amount of even flow.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Unless you're doing co2, turbulence isn't a problem for most plants. I use 2 filters on all my tanks. I have a 404 I'm using now & an HOB. It's ok, I had Renas first & liked them ok. Canisters are more of a pita to clean but you don't need to it as often as HOBs.

I've never had an Eheim, I'm too cheap. & I don't think they're as good as they used to be from what I hear. They also tend to have a lower flow rate than others.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
For a 55g, I'd mail-order a Sunsun 302 for ~$40-50. The only canisters I have time with are the 302s and Marineland C-360s

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
For me as long as Eheim is on the market, no other filter gets considered, unless it is a gigantic steal. I don't care what anyone says. The Eheim quality is unsurpassed. I have been running some of the same filters for over 20 years with no problems.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
^ Smitty, I hear you, but have you purchased a recent Chinese made Eheim filter? (most, if not all now) Just curious to how you feel they compare to your 20yr/old Eheims

smitty

AC Members
Jul 8, 2004
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Real Name
Jeffrey Smith
Camera Used
Olympus FE-370; Sony HDR-CX580
No, I have not purchased a Chinese made Eheim filter. I am also aware of the low quality standards associated with Chinese made products, and there is some validity there. I believe that the Chinese can make things to the quality standards of what a manufacturer wants. The same knock was on products made in Korea. Remember when Hyundai was considered the worst vehicle to be sold in America, but yet they were making engines for BMW, and Mercedes. Have you purchased a Chinese made Eheim, and if so did you notice a drop off in quality.

Phoenixjoni

AC Members
Mar 19, 2018
Bailey, CO
Okay, the Eheim 4+350 canister filter won out. Just installed it yesterday. I inspected the parts thoroughly, and they seem to be of very good quality. Liked that it was very easy to prime the canister. Love the black look on all the parts. Really like the spray bar, but I never had one before. Is it okay to have it installed below the waterline?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Place it where you need the desired effect...surface agitation, additional circulation or just a quieter tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store