Cloudy Eye Disease

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cichlidlunak

AC Members
Apr 5, 2018
Has anyone every had a fish get a cloudy puffy eye and on the verge of death?
We found our fish on the edge of death, white puffy eyes, breathing but not really moving.
We put him in a hospital tank and treated it with Artemiss. The fish slowly has started getting better. The puffy eye is gone and hes getting color back. We still have him in the hospital tank.
Woke up yesterday to find another in the same condition...put him in the hospital tank and he died the next day.

We have a 55gl tank...we have two 406 Fluval canister filters. We clean them once a week and change the water about 40% once a week. The tank has been established for about a year and a half.

Does anyone have any idea what this is that affecting our fish?
Thank you

cichlidlunak

AC Members
Apr 5, 2018
Here is a pic of my cloudy eye fish...his eye is still cloudy but its no longer all puffy and he has color so he doesnt appear stressed anymore.

Now we put another fish in the hospital tank because of the red gills....20180405_223036_resized.jpg 20180405_223017_resized.jpg 20180405_223242_resized.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Cloudy eyes can be a sign of poor water quality. I'm glad they're getting better. What are you parameters for ammonia, nitrite & nitrates?

I'm not familiar with Artemiss. What are its active ingredients?

cichlidlunak

AC Members
Apr 5, 2018
Cloudy eyes can be a sign of poor water quality. I'm glad they're getting better. What are you parameters for ammonia, nitrite & nitrates?

I'm not familiar with Artemiss. What are its active ingredients?
Ammonia and nitrites are at 0. Nitrates are at 5ppm
Then Artemiss doesn't say what the active ingredients are. It just says its a 100% natural expellant for bacterial diseases. Provides a chemical free treatment effective again bacterial diseases.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Meh, I like lots of clean water changes often, over any "natural" or man made "treatment"; especially for "cloudy eye" issues.

Any treatment is, in some way, chemical & not "natural"...whatever that means... I'm more pharma-realistic than magic druggie. Save your $$ & use some proven treatment...like WCs...or actual drugs that may work for your fish's perceived problems once you define them.

Reactions: OrionGirl

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
If it's on only one eye, it could also be an injury from fighting with other fish, or when trying to run away from something and running into something. Pretty common in tanks with aggressive fish.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I'm curious as to why you are cleaning the canisters once a week?

cichlidlunak

AC Members
Apr 5, 2018
I'm curious as to why you are cleaning the canisters once a week?
Because they are super filthy...Sometimes I clean them every other week. When I'm done cleaing the water is very very dark brown..its nasty...Cichlids are dirty fish.!!.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Put prefilter sponges on the intakes. That will catch the waste where it's easier to get to..and honestly, if there is that much waste, I'm guessing the tank is massively overstocked. What are your nitrates levels?

Reactions: fishorama
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store