Driftwood Problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
Hi All,
My tank developed green slime algae about two weeks after I added a large piece of ocean driftwood. It had been soaked for a month and did not turn the water brown, so initiallyI thought everything was alright.
Is salt water driftwood a bad idea, or should I have treated it differently? It's a great looking piece and I would like to make it work.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Did you make any other changes to this tank aside from adding the driftwood?

How long do you keep the lights on?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
More details about the tank, please.

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
It's a 29 gal tall w/c02, a 55w cfc, and an 8 hr photoperiod. N=20 ppm, P=1.5. Besides these, I also add K and traces.
I did change out the filter outflow bar around the same time as adding the driftwood. I had enlarged the original outflow holes to calm down the flow a bit, but decided to go back to the original bar a short time before adding the driftwood.
A week ago I did a complete overhaul, replacing the old substrate and dying plants. I now have Flourite, some tall grasses and two leafy plants. Hope this helps.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Wood is known to cause issues in a variety of ways--lots of the planted tank elite won't use it for that reason. That said...I am not sure you have enough planted mass to really warrant fertilizing. What are the plants? 'Tall grasses' isn't really helpful, and there are a LOT of 'leafy' plants. Some aren't truly aquatic, which will cause further issues.

tackful

AC Members
Mar 15, 2007
Sausalito, CA
Not able to say what kind of grasses and plants I have, but at present the tank is very lightly planted, in contrast to the former setup, which was very heavily planted and crowded with green. Unfortunately, that by itself was not enough to keep the slime away.
FreshyFish asked about other changes occurring concurrent with the driftwood. The more I think about it, it makes sense to return to the filter outflow with the larger holes that I had been using.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store