Food, food, food!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
It's time for a fish food order so I've been looking around at different sites and foods and whatnot for a couple days. Put together an order and it was $80 just for the foods I really needed. Then today I look over at the foods that accumulated in one spot in just the past 2 weeks and have to think to myself...Am I insane!? I need $80 worth of food when I have all this!? lol And this doesn't include the any of the frozen, fresh or 4 types of pond food I have.

IMG_4194.JPG

But really I am nearly out of algae wafers, flakes and freeze dried. Plus I want to try gel foods and I hate my current summer pond food. So I do need that $80 worth of food! :) Just thought this was funny and wanted to see how many foods you guys use on a normal basis?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I HAVE tons available, but feed NorthFin (I will have to look to see the varieties, we get lots of samples but I think I have community pellets in the smallest size plus one that look like red worms), and Xtreme cat scrapers, community and nano, and Bug Bites. When there were more fish, live black worms were worth it but now, with really only 3 tanks that would eat them, it's harder to justify getting them. Maybe this month I'll get some as a treat.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
The worm looking ones are Red Mico from Tropical

http://tropical.pl/tropical/product/red-mico-colour-sticks

I don't think $80 is too much honestly.. depending on how long it will last, I'd personally prefer to feed fish/shrimp in my care something good rather than something cheap, in much the same way I don't prefer eating from the $ menu at McDonald's for every meal.

As you might imagine, there's bunches of food around here, and as noted Northfin, Extreme and Tropical are the biggest favorites.. and you could likely include Shrimp King too.

If you want to buy in bulk, maybe Your Fish Stuff/Aquacarium would be a good choice. For prepackaged stuff we get a lot from Lisa at Super Cichlids.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Gee whiz! I haven't heard of many of those brands. I have 6 or so pellet/flake/tablet foods plus frozen bloodworms & of course, Repashy Soylent Green...& some old medicated foods. I think my fish are deprived compared to you all...I feel like even more of a slacker than my usual. Time to order some more foods!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
We have Repashy around as well, but honestly I can't recall when I last made it.

But I a slacker when it comes to feeding. I had BugBites samples, but the main reason I bought it was to feed the carnivorous plants. It's MUCH less messy for them than many of the other options. The small mouth fish like it, and it stays at the surface better than many of the pellets so it's good for feeding the baby bettas.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Me too! Total slacker. I have just a few.

The food with the worst ingredient list I keep is Hikari cichlid bio gold+ I feed my oscar and green sev. Seems to be less mess and poop with that food. They get some fresh veggies rarely and some freeze dried goods maybe once a week. The only live stuff they get are red cherry shrimp from my stock.

I bought a big can of ZooMed spirulina flakes online a year or so ago and I like Omega one flakes (lil bit higher protein)

Veggie wafers for the plecos I get Omega one because the ingredient list can be horrific for most common/readily avail stuff.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I just looked through a few things from the past year, and found samples of bunches of foods.

We shall not use them... Ms. Moderator, if you will be attending NJAS next month, you are more than welcome to them.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, there's a big difference in alga wafers, read the label! The "big name brand " is lesser than the scoffed on "old brand" & the "newer brand". I will name names if there will be no backlash against AC...I know they advertise here...

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Is the first ingredient chicken nuggets? :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store