Bringing a betta home on a plane.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

HrdWodFlor

Tiger Dog is on the lookout!
Oct 7, 2008
Hope Mills, NC
Does anyone know the rules about being able to take a betta on a plane to the U.S.? I'm currently in Thailand and want to visit a local Betta farm. I can't seem to find any concrete answer about what steps I have to take to import a betta home. I don't want to use a trans shipper if i dont have to.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It depends on the airline as far as I researched on flights within the US, international is a whole different thing. As far as TSA in the US, you can bring live fish as carry or checked...but none of the airlines that fly where I'm going allow them...or they might, but it's up to individual flights. Very hard to plan for.

Ask you airline or at least read their website. There may be quarantine laws or health certification rules for both countries. That's why there are trans shippers, it's not easy or cheap.

Sounds like an awesome trip even if you can't bring home a betta!

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Flying with a fish domestically is allowed by TSA. It may not be allowed by the airline carrier. But as long as you keep it in your carryon they don't have to know about it.

It is different for bringing in a fish internationally. That is technically importing a species into the U.S. and requires a US Fish and Wildlife service permit. It could be stopped at customs without a permit and seized. You may face a steep fine as well. You can find more information here.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...sion/L3RpbWUvMTUzMDE4NzU4Mi9zaWQvYW9FZ2drUW4=

All that being said, I do know people that travel internationally and as long as you don't have an endangered species, they often let people in with a few (less than 9) fish with them. But that is a gamble that you need to consider whether you are willing to take.

Andy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store