New to aquarium keeping.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jim Adams

AC Members
Jun 9, 2018
Hi Jim. Welcome. I agree with the above advise. My PH levels are over 8.0 and the fish I have adjusted to it. Raising the temp in your tank and turning the lights off with help, if you have Ich. I suggest you get a API Master Test Kit. It's a little pricey, but it last a long time a well worth the investment to keep your water stable.
Thank you for your advice. I will turn out the lights and the temp. is at 82. Don't want to cook them. I've been using the API Master Test Kit for a couple of weeks now. I guess I need to stop stressing over the aquarium and try to just enjoy it. Thanks again.

Reactions: Claire Vaughan

Jim Adams

AC Members
Jun 9, 2018
Jim, I forgot to ask, are you cleaning the filter cartridge? or replacing it?
A light rinse with dechlorinated water or tank water is all maintenence the filter floss needs at this point. I would Not replace the cartridge because then you are losing accumulated beneficial bacteria which forms on the media and consumes the ammonia waste produced by the livestock

Also, your tank is definitely not Underfilterd, which is why the powerhead is also redundant. There is plenty of water movement, you just need a good bacteria colony to get established.
How are things in S.B. I use to live about 2 blocks from Sterns Wharf. Anyway. Yes I change the filter cartridge and replace it with new floss and carbon. Then I add a biological booster. Why? I don't know. I'm using a Whisper Filter system meant for a 30-60 gallon tank on a 20 gallon tank. It has a 2 stage filter system. 1 being the Bio-Bag. The other is a Bio-Foam and Aerobic Grid. is that the info you are asking for? I'm definitely lost at this point. I guess I wore out fishorama with my ignorance. She stopped corresponding.

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
Don't worry about ph!
As others have mentioned, your 7.8 ph is not a problem at all.
Here in Santa Barbara, our water out of tap typically has a ph over 8.2 and tds can approach 800ppm, and yet we can keep (but not breed) most soft water fish in these conditions.
Your local fish store likely has exactly the same ph as your tap at home.

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
Looks like you were responding to my post while i was responding to yours!
Changing that filter floss put you back to ground zero in your cycling process.
Do not change it!
By the way, I also used to live 2 blocks from Stearn's wharf, on Mason St.

Jim Adams

AC Members
Jun 9, 2018
That's funny. We might have been neighbors at one time. Thank you for the help and advice. Right now I'm treating for ick and have pulled out the floss and carbon filter and left the Aerobic grid. I'm hoping that it contains enough of the biological elements to get through until I can put the floss filter back in. Unfortunately because of the ick, I will probably change out the floss and carbon filter to keep from reintroducing the ick back into the environment. I'm hoping my next water test on Monday will not be bad news. Yes I'm using the API Master Test Kit to test. Wish me luck.
I can't believe how much S.B. has Changed since I was there. I remember it as being a quite little place that folks liked to get away to. And now Its like just another burb of L.A.. Thanks again.

Jim Adams

AC Members
Jun 9, 2018
Despite following all given advice and following treatments for ick, fish are dropping like flies. I should be out of fish by the end of next week. I am officially throwing in the towel and looking for a new beginning. So now I'm looking for advice as to how to start over. Things such as sanitizing the tank. Proper starting of the tank. Supplies. etc.. etc.. etc..

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What is your exact ich treatment program?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store