New Tank, Looking to go Heavily Planted

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
We have a 37g tabnk (I think 12x30x22) and run a Ray 2 DS over it (https://www.finnex.net/index.php/ray2_series/?___store=default)

It works OK.. not growing terribly high light requiring plants (Vals, crypts, anubias from memory) but it does work.

I have the Satellite light you linked, I believe, over a 10g tank (so the same just half as tall) and it grows about the same as the finnex ray does.. so roughly low light.

the temperature of the light matters little above how the contents of the tank will appear to you, the number of watts will mean little except for how much electricity your fixture is using, unless you're comparing something like for like (same emitters and driver used in the lights, same optics etc)

If I was in the same boat personally.. I'd be more likely to cut my losses if the primary concern was to be growing plants and getting a 10g tank and then altering fauna appropriately.

If you are sticking with what you have, Just let it go and see what will grow well for you, and work with that. if you have a local plant group near you, it may be a good source for many types of plant cuttings, letting you try a bunch of stuff for really cheap prices. They may have used equipment you could give a try of too.

I would normally look for reviews of folks using specific lighting over the tank I was trying to use to see how it might work... but you're not likely to find many people using a 20XH as a planted tank.. unfortunately.

Sorry I can't offer much more on top of that.

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
We have a 37g tabnk (I think 12x30x22) and run a Ray 2 DS over it (https://www.finnex.net/index.php/ray2_series/?___store=default)

It works OK.. not growing terribly high light requiring plants (Vals, crypts, anubias from memory) but it does work.

I have the Satellite light you linked, I believe, over a 10g tank (so the same just half as tall) and it grows about the same as the finnex ray does.. so roughly low light.

the temperature of the light matters little above how the contents of the tank will appear to you, the number of watts will mean little except for how much electricity your fixture is using, unless you're comparing something like for like (same emitters and driver used in the lights, same optics etc)

If I was in the same boat personally.. I'd be more likely to cut my losses if the primary concern was to be growing plants and getting a 10g tank and then altering fauna appropriately.

If you are sticking with what you have, Just let it go and see what will grow well for you, and work with that. if you have a local plant group near you, it may be a good source for many types of plant cuttings, letting you try a bunch of stuff for really cheap prices. They may have used equipment you could give a try of too.

I would normally look for reviews of folks using specific lighting over the tank I was trying to use to see how it might work... but you're not likely to find many people using a 20XH as a planted tank.. unfortunately.

Sorry I can't offer much more on top of that.
Thanks for the reply

Low light plants like those are all I am trying to grow. I currently have a bunch of java moss, some anubias and a few very small java ferns.

I am coming to the conclusion of simply swapping tanks (down sizing, is that a thing around here??). So heres what I did. I ordered the satellite led light to try out. I am gonna try it and see what happens. If it doesnt go well, Ill drop down to either a 10g or a not so tall 20g tank. Then I can use everything I have here in the new tank. Luckily my only fauna is unwanted pond snails. So nothing to worry about there.

Im on all kinds of groups in the area, find all kinds of odds and ends for used equipment. Lots of plant clippings as well, thats where I grabbed my current stock.

Thanks for all the info in the thread all! Ive learned quite a bit :)

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
Just an update, Im picking a 10g up tonight. Sold half the plants , and gonna use the money from them for a cheap 10g. Will swap everything over at some point to the 10g.

This should give me a lot more options.

Reactions: dougall

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
Got the 10g, just needs a good cleaning. My light will be here on wedsday according to amazon. Man Im excited to get this tank growing properly!

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
Lets try this again, shall we?

Everything is now moved to the 10g. I like this size a lot more then the 20g xh. The eheim is a little big for the tank but oh well. More filtration is never bad! Plus its been in cycling process already.

Ive planted my java moss, anubias nana and some incredibly tiny java fern. Once the fern grows to big Ill trim the big stuff and start a new with the little small clippings. Would crypt wendtii fit in a 10g? Any suggestions for a 10g? Id like to try some dwarf hair grass if possible.

Light is a current usa satellite led plus 18" bar. Full spectrum leds in it. The colors are just wonderful. Let me know what you guys think!

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
600BCF41-444C-4D91-BA3E-653FC9560662.jpeg 9EBE5569-0962-4717-9B1A-AE2ED893F94D.jpeg 7DA3EAC3-996F-4475-A258-255162F1BFF5.jpeg 0BE38278-6A80-421D-99C1-83E35B065B6C.jpeg FFFD53D2-1A9C-4561-8680-5F41F4367B7A.jpeg 89D1080F-D47C-40DD-A1CD-58CAC19F3228.jpeg 4EFEB698-4F9B-4230-AA49-B22345450C8F.jpeg

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I have an eheim canister filter on my 10g and it works fine.

Crypt Wendtii will work fine in your aquarium, as well as a lot of the other small-midsize crypts. It looks like your substrate is maybe just deep enough for wendtii, I don't see what it is, but you would likely benefit from using root tabs in there also.

Right now it looks like you just need to sit back and let it grow a while,

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
I have an eheim canister filter on my 10g and it works fine.

Crypt Wendtii will work fine in your aquarium, as well as a lot of the other small-midsize crypts. It looks like your substrate is maybe just deep enough for wendtii, I don't see what it is, but you would likely benefit from using root tabs in there also.

Right now it looks like you just need to sit back and let it grow a while,
Great info, thanks.

Could I add some more plants now? Or should I wait awhile? I do have root tabs. Api brand. Substrate is seachem flourite, its about 3" deep.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
the more plants yo have, the more food they will need.

You can add as many as you like, their growth may be affected by the number, but if you plan to add some sort of complete nutrient (I'm a fan of thrive, even if nilocg isn't an active AC member any more) then go for it.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Looks like a great start! Give it some time and see how it goes.

I did a 10g with plants for a year or two. I used an Aqueon 2-bulb strip light over a glass top. The fixture is intended for those hotdog shaped incandescents, but I used two 10watt CFLs instead. I had Caribsea FloraMax substrate in it:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store