I built a DIY temperature controller

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
Awesome project! Hope to see more. How much did it actually cost you?
Bill of sale:

InkBird ITC-1000 temperature controller: US$15.99
Project Box: US$7.99
Decora grounded outlet: ~US$3.00
Decora outlet cover: ~US$1.00
I also needed some wires and wire nuts. Had those lying around the house, so they did not cost me anything.

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
Version 2.0 coming using different components:

Sonoff TH10 Wifi Enabled Switch

Sonoff DS18B20 Temperature Sensor

This controller will be "smart." It should work the same as the above controller, but will be able to send me alerts if my temperature goes too low or too high. In theory, if the switch is working, it should never go too high, but if the heater dies, it can go too low. I've had that happen, and didn't realize my tank was too cold for a week. Didn't lose any fish, but just a crappy situation.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Super nice work and write-up!

Hmmm.. I could 'borrow' most of those components from the instrument shop at work! ;)

Reactions: Andytay70

newaquariumguy

AC Members
Feb 3, 2018
Bow Island Alberta Canada
Real Name
Glen
Thanks. I built both my stands and one is not what we normally see. One of them is against a stair railing and I did not want to see filters and pumps, and hoses, etc. when I used the stairs, so I built an additional back into it. Now I see a nice oak back when on the stairs. I am going to design a way to make this addition and make it look like it was intended to be there--not an addition.

apastuszak

AC Members
Jun 2, 2015
Bensalem, PA
www.stamphacks.com
Real Name
Andy
Camera Used
iPhone XR
Thanks. I built both my stands and one is not what we normally see. One of them is against a stair railing and I did not want to see filters and pumps, and hoses, etc. when I used the stairs, so I built an additional back into it. Now I see a nice oak back when on the stairs. I am going to design a way to make this addition and make it look like it was intended to be there--not an addition.
Now that sounds cool.

See my other thread about home automation and my aquariums.

newaquariumguy

AC Members
Feb 3, 2018
Real Name
Glen
I have not looked to hard into building a controller yet--got busy with other things. I did buy a used 55 tank to exchange my 60. I knew absolutely nothing about aquariums when I jumped in, and have learned that the original one I bought was built to those dimensions to fit into a tv stand, not the best dimensions for fish. The one I bought came with a Fluval 305 filter, and an Aqua Clear 300. I tried selling the 60 with those filters but had no luck. I decided if I had to discount it, I might as well keep which I think is a better filter--the 305, and try to sell it with the aqua clear 70 I am currently using, along with the 300. I am actually as I write this, waiting for stain to dry. I built a very nice box for the 305 to look as natural as possible beside the oak stand. It never ends but fortunately I love and am able to make things out of wood.

newaquariumguy

AC Members
Feb 3, 2018
Real Name
Glen
Yes, I realize that. What I meant was that if I had to discount the price, I might as well sell it with a 70 that I am using now,and a 300. The 70 is one of 2 currently on the tank. When this box is finished, my tank will have a 70 and a 305.

Andytay70

AC Members
Jun 20, 2017
Nice thread,
Is there an option to fit a sounder to warn if the temp goes too high or low?
PS,
Keep up the good work!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store