Uses for old eco-complete substrate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
I have a bucket of old worn out eco-complete that I don't plan use in my tanks again.

How could I creatively use this stuff outside an aquarium? Are there plants that would do well in a pot of eco-complete?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
What do you mean worn out?

Is it sand?

It's an inert substance, pretty much, so you can add root tabs, or mix in other nutrients into the substrate and it will be just the same.

It's use in an aquarium is due to it not being sharp, and having a high CEC to hold nutrients. I guess you could mix it into soil or whatever for terrestrial plants, but I'm not sure there would be too much benefit in doing so.

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
by worn out, i mean the grains had degraded over the years to where the stuff is too fine and dusty to use in the tank without making a mess.
I just scored some gently used eco from a hobbyist and the difference in grain size and color is striking.
I just want to find a creative use for the old stuff.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
mixing it in with anything should be fine.

but it's not likely to add or help much in most situations.. but won't really hurt much either.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store