Can I add Congos to a 75g with 6 angels, 1 Albino Pleco and 2 SAEs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Stara'lfur

AC Members
May 19, 2008
Southern Cali
Hi! I recently acquired an aquarium on craigslist. 75G 37 inches wide, low-tech planted with some anubias. He had 6 angels, 1 Albino Pleco, and 2 SAEs in it already. I'd love to add a school of tetras- probably congos since they are on the bigger size. I know 6 Angels is already a lot, if it were me I'd only have 3 or so in there, and I could do without the Pleco/SAEs. I kind of want to rehome a couple of the Angels but I would feel bad, the original owner seemed attached to them. Whatcha think? Thanks for any advice, it's been a while since I've been in the hobby.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Can you tell us the dimensions of your tank please? I can't think of a 75g that shape...a standard 75 is 48 x 18 x 20 inches tall, that's what I'm used to.

Those angels are going to limit your choices, especially when they pair off & want to breed. But 6 is a "safer" number than 3 or 4, if there's room. That is a recipe for fighting if not murder. Remember, angels look delicate, but they are cichlids. IF you can identify & keep a true M & F pair ONLY, that can work...usually.

SAEs I would not keep in less than a 4ft tank, that torpedo shape needs space for swimming.

So, without more info, it's hard to think you have midwater room for another species. Corydoras might be an option; what species is your "albino" plec? There are BNs that stay 4 or 5 inches & "commons" that get 10+ inches.

A pic or 2 can help us understand better. I see you're not a newb, so I assume the tank is cycled, right?

Stara'lfur

AC Members
May 19, 2008
Southern Cali
Thanks for the reply fishorama! It's 22 inches high by 37 wide by 18 deep. According to the previous owner I have one male and 5 females, and he (big black guy) has mostly paired off with one of the females- the only gold one, and then sometimes fertilizes eggs of the other females. So technically I could keep just those two and rehome the others ey? Actually I'd prefer to keep a different female because I prefer her coloration but lemme know what's best. Interesting you say 6 is better than 3 or 4.

So you say the SAEs shouldn't be in less than a 4 foot tank, is it best I rehome them then? I could take them to the local fish store. IDK what's more ethical, subjecting them to the move or keeping them here?

Not sure what exact species the albino pleco is - I'll ask him and see if he knows. I think it's the smaller variety but not sure. Again, keeping him or giving him to LFS more ethical? Edit: asked him, he doesn't know what variety, just "albino pleco"

It's mostly cycled, I had issues with the filter he gave me so had to move all the media to a new filter. Ammonia and Nitrite are 0 but Nitrates are currently high, I think I stirred up a lot of the gravel in the move and also I may have fed them too much in the past couple days. I just upped the lighting on the anubias, maybe they will now help absorb some of that Nitrate. I wouldn't add anymore fish until Nitrate subsides.

I don't really want any corydoras, was really hoping on a larger schooling tetra species (congos I'd love xD)

Attached is a pic, thank you!!

Edit: also, currently soaking a big piece of manzanita driftwood to help break up the tank, and will add more anubias to attach to the branches hopefully
20180901_190619.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, I see most of your fish are fairly small...for now, but they WILL grow...& angel issues will too. If you pretty confident there is only 1 male (I've been "sure" before & wrong! with 35 + years experience, lol).

I like your plants; anubias & crypts are my go to easy species. I'd like a bit more hardscape; rocks &/or wood...the angels might too. I'd only keep the male & your preferred female...but like I said I've been wrong before.

Yeah, just rehome the SAEs & "extra female" angels, a pair is enough in a smallish footprint tank & hope for the best (ie., those 2 will be compatible). You "might" be able to trade your lfs for other fish or food; it never hurts to ask. But are you committed to an angel "pair"? Breeding in a community tank is not without problems....

I really don't think you have room for a "school " or "shoal" of congos in that tank, they're pretty big tetras, at least 4+ inches & like a very minimum of 5 or 6 to be happy. Have you looked at deeper bodied but smaller fish like lemon tetras or harlequin rasboras?

I don't know what fish would work best in your tank; like I said, that's not a shape I'm familiar with...& I'm worried about your plec's eventual size...work on a pic of it.

Stara'lfur

AC Members
May 19, 2008
Southern Cali
Thanks again fishorama! Yes I edited my post to say I am adding more hardscape- I'm going to put a nice size manzanita in and then attach anubias all over it.

Yeah I'd like to rehome the angels but I do feel kind of guilty- I'd just hand em over to the Local Fish Store I think, should I wait until they are older to see who best gets along? I am not committed to an angel pair- what's the alternative- just one? I hear they get lonely.

Aw, bummer about the congos being too big- I thought I could get 6 of em in here, but I guess they need a 4 foot tank. One day!

I used to have harlies, don't want em anymore. So now I'm considering black neons, lemon tetras, and/or pristella tetras. I think they're all big enough to not get eaten. I hear lemons are more bottom dwelling compared to the others. IDK. It'd be nice to get two groups of tetras, 6 and 6, and keep 2-3 angelfish. Or I could do just one group of a bigger school of tetras.

Pic of pleco! He came out. :)

20180901_211403.jpg

20180901_211356.jpg

Stara'lfur

AC Members
May 19, 2008
Southern Cali
I think what I want to do is rehome the pleco & SAE, and 4 of the angels, and then add 10 pristella and 10 lemon tetra. So it would be 20 tetra and 2 Angels. I just feel guilty rehoming the fish so I'm going to think it over.

Stara'lfur

AC Members
May 19, 2008
Southern Cali
Maybe I can just give away the SAEs and pleco, and add 6 pristella or lemon tetras and just see how they do, and wait to rehome the angels if they show a problem.

Stara'lfur

AC Members
May 19, 2008
Southern Cali
Ok last post of the night I just discovered Red Phantom Tetras and would love to get them. :)

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
Angels are fickle fish. Fishorama is very right that more is better to begin with. I had 2 in my 55g and had to rehome one as the began fighting. The one nearly killed the other. Id keep the mated pair and rehome the rest. Otherwise you could run into trouble.

That is an albino bristle nose pleco you have. Beautiful fish, I am a big fan. They get 5-6" long max.

Red phantoms would work, id go with a larger school. Just have to keep an eye out for fin nipping at the angels.

I would rehome the Sae's if youre not into them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store