Breeding Koi/Goldfsh is ok?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Carla Cowart

AC Members
Aug 26, 2018
I've had koi in a 1000gl pond for 6 plus years. I've only heard people rant about keeping koi "pure". I've been doing research because I just noticed that some of my 3 year old "koi" that are 12-15" long DON'T have whiskers! I don't see as well as I used to but the whiskers should be obvious if they are koi! I never buy a "koi" unless it has the whiskers but now I've found information on hybrids! Too cool! Can someone tell me what the appeal is for breeding the two together besides the excitement of seeing what you get. Thanks

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Koi are line bred from the same animals as goldfish. The differences aren't great enough to prevent hybridization, though offspring are sterile. The offspring will have a mix of features from the parents, so it's difficult to ensure you can meet their needs. It sounds like you already have hybrids, so they are unlikely to be fertile.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Agree with OrionGirl. Most people will not want hybrid so offloading the extras can be tricky.

Carla Cowart

AC Members
Aug 26, 2018
Thanks for the information. I can not believe it but I have started catching my 1' long...fish...and have found that NONE of them have whiskers!! I have about 4-5 fish that are about 12" and about 25 that are from 1" to 6"!! Again, I never bought a fish that didn't have whiskers! NOW it seems most all of my fish do not have whiskers! I am stunned...lol! My big fish are beautiful. One is completely orange. The others range in orange with black spots. But the biggest one is marbleized black and orange.

Also, one of the larger ones is aggressive towards the others. Are goldfish aggressive? I used to have about 3 large completely black koi but they are gone! Should I worry about my "obvious" koi that I still have? My pond has gone through some major changes and though it is most always clear, and I usually sit out in the morning and feed my koi, I have not noticed these changes until now! I'm not sure what is going on but I love the fish I have so I will just go with the flow I guess.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
You may want to test water quality. Koi whiskers are subject to damage/erosion...and if the fish HAD them and now do not, I'd suspect that something happened to them rather than a hybrid situation.

Reactions: the loach
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store