Possible Fungus? How to safely treat

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Trinita_Andato

Registered Member
Sep 8, 2018
I'm new to the aquarium hobby so I am not familiar 100% on what I'm doing and after alot of research (too late in the game) I know now we've made alot of errors! We have a 29gal tank and got 5 mollies to start with because we were told no matter what they will die when you first set up your tank.

After about a month they were still going strong so we went back and got an albino rainbow shark, 2 emerald corydoras and a moss ball. At first we couldn't get the amonia under control even with doing partial water changes and using safe start to try and help speed up the cycling process. Finally the guy at the aquarium store told me about a filter packet thing you put in the filter and it is supposed to reduce amonia.

It worked perfectly amonia is at 0 and has been for a few weeks now but 2 of my mollies started acting strange a few days ago. They will primarily stay on the bottom of the tank and not do anything. After looking closely they seem to have a whitish film on their mouths and parts of their body. It's small and barely noticable unless your looking but it's there. They move if prompted or when I feed them but that's it and it's only 2 of them. I did another partial water change tonight and tested the levels I'll post those as well. But my question is how do I lower my nitrites and treat this possible fungus without harming my rainbow shark and my Cory's? Since they cant handle salt or the tetra lifeguard fungal treatment? Help please!

High range ph -7.6
Ammonia- 0
Nitrites - between .25 and .50!!! Had a spike!?
Nitrates - 5.0

Trinita_Andato

Registered Member
Sep 8, 2018
I took some pictures so maybe someone can help me identify what's wrong if they are able to see them. I'm new and still trying to understand how to navigate this site and what I can/cant do yet so bear with me

20180908_222223.jpg

20180908_222219.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Welcome to AC!

I'm going to guess columnaris, a bacteria not a true fungus. It looks like the "chronic" form, as opposed the more fast killing 1 (or they'd be dead in a day or 2). I can't think of the right antibiotic ATM. But look it up--it's either a gram positive (I think that may be right) or a gram negative bacteria. Each is treated with a different antibiotic. I "believe" I used kanamycin once but it's been 10+ years, so please look it up.

Nitrite in any amount is harmful to fish. The best thing is water changes as often as you can; daily 50% or more if you possibly can. That may help a tiny bit with the bacteria infection BUT won't get rid of it.

Can you tell us all about your tank with more pics if you can please? The shark will grow too big for your tank at 5 or 6 inches, but not for a while. We can discuss stocking later.

Ghost463

AC Members
Sep 12, 2018
If its only on the mollies. Pull them out into a bucket. I use methalene blue to treat many infections or bacteria issues. Bought at a local pharmacy. Dont add to the tank it can and will kill the eco system. Also note its messy and turns everything blue. I have heard methylene green works to but i have never used it.
I dont have mollies in my tanks because of there "special needs". I hate to say this but many years ago i felt i had to make a choice. Mollies or everything else freshwater. Mind u i never really took the time for them either. After my first 4 died after 2 months of being in a large comunity tank. I never really went back. Said that my experiences are limited with mollies.

Good luck i hope u work it out!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store