Graduating from a 5g tank to 27g tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rockarolla70

AC Members
Oct 8, 2018
Bangalore, India
Real Name
Krish
Hi all,
Firstly am new to this forum & secondly need some expert advice from fish keeping guru's.
I have taken up this hobby recently, to start with I wanted to try with small tank and some easy going fishes & finally thought of having next level nano tank. I have done quite a bit research and my pet shop owner is a expert in fish keeping. Below given is the statics of my new tank which has minimal aquascaping done.

Size: 27.5g Tank
Type: Non-Co2 - Freshwater Fish Tank
Filter: EHEIM Classic 350 (2215) External Canister Filter, Jardli Glass Lily pipes
Aquascaping: Minimal (Center-Island style)
Deco: Driftwood, Dragon Rocks, Colorado Sand, Java moss & Anubias Nana
Note: The water in the tank is being recycled presently without any livestock in it, after the aquascaping four rounds of water change has been performed, the tank is almost matured.

I am planning to have the below livestock in the coming week. I wanted to know from the SME's if the livestock is perfect ??

Livestock (Non-aggressive)
8 - Harlequin Rasboras
8 - Cardinal Tetras
15 - Cherry Shrimp

Suggestions/Opinions are highly appreciated.

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
As said in the other thread, you could double up on those if you wanted.

What readings are your water params giving?

Cherry shrimp are quite fun, they will establish a colony rather fast and breed prolificly. Good thing they have essentially zero bio load on the tank. My 6gal Fluval Flex must have over 100 of them now...

Reactions: fishorama

rockarolla70

AC Members
Oct 8, 2018
Bangalore, India
Real Name
Krish
Hi DefJ123, below is the readings sent by my pet show owner where my tank is getting recycled/matured.

pH = 6.9
Ammonia = 0.2 (question: why is this reading of 0.2 when there is no live stock yet??)
Nitrite = 0.0
Nitrate = 32

Secondly when you said I can double up my live stock, you mean I can go up to 30 fishes (Harlequin Rasboras + Cardinal Tetras) excluding Cherry shrimps ?? So including the shrimps the total live stock will be 45 (to start with)

rockarolla70

AC Members
Oct 8, 2018
Bangalore, India
Real Name
Krish
Wanted to add this pic too. Shows how my tank looks as of now. As I mentioned before, the water changes/recycling are done at the place my aquarium was built and aquascaping was done.

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-08 at 10.45.51 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-08 at 10.45.47 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-08 at 10.45.49 AM.jpeg

DefJ123

AC Members
Jun 24, 2018
Nice looking tank!

If thats your readings, something has caused a spike. Is there any rotted plant pieces? That can cause some ammonia.

I would not add that many fish at once. Start with 4-5 at a time, then once your tank catches up to the new bio load you can add some more. Youll crash the cycle adding that many fish at once. Just take it slow :)

Personally, I would add shrimp last once your done adding fish. Neocaridinas need pristine water.

Reactions: rockarolla70

rockarolla70

AC Members
Oct 8, 2018
Bangalore, India
Real Name
Krish
Nice looking tank!

If thats your readings, something has caused a spike. Is there any rotted plant pieces? That can cause some ammonia.

I would not add that many fish at once. Start with 4-5 at a time, then once your tank catches up to the new bio load you can add some more. Youll crash the cycle adding that many fish at once. Just take it slow :)

Personally, I would add shrimp last once your done adding fish. Neocaridinas need pristine water.
Thanks !! I will check on the plant for spike.
What I understand from your suggestion is that I should not add 16 (8+8) at once and I need to add only 8 (4-Harlequin Rasboras & 4Cardinal Tetras) first & then add the next in the second lot ... right.

- If I do this way I thought the first lot would have claimed the territory & when I add the next ... will there be any frictions.
- I thought shrimps to be add first once tank matures ... then comes the fishes, correct me if am wrong.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
You can have 10 cardinals, 10 harlequins and 10 embers in the tank.
Mixing cardinals and neons ... it's better to have 20 of one as 10/10 of either.
They don't claim territory you add them in small numbers to build up a colony of nitrifying bacteria first.

Reactions: rockarolla70

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
The water in the tank is being recycled presently without any livestock in it, after the aquascaping four rounds of water change has been performed, the tank is almost matured.
As I mentioned before, the water changes/recycling are done at the place my aquarium was built and aquascaping was done.
I'm not sure I'm entirely understanding what you're saying here. What do you mean by "recycled?" And what do you mean by "at the place my aquarium was built?" Do you mean it is being filtered and you're doing water changes in place? Or are you actually taking tank water somewhere for "recycling" and paying for new?

rockarolla70

AC Members
Oct 8, 2018
Bangalore, India
Real Name
Krish
I'm not sure I'm entirely understanding what you're saying here. What do you mean by "recycled?" And what do you mean by "at the place my aquarium was built?" Do you mean it is being filtered and you're doing water changes in place? Or are you actually taking tank water somewhere for "recycling" and paying for new?
Hi in India all these work in a different way. Firstly when I decided to have a bigger tank I gave the complete contract to the service provided (freshwater & marine experts) who do the project end-to-end based on the the my concept. Ideas & thoughts are bounced back&forth during the course of the project. The tank will be with them till it is fully matured, during this period 3 water cycles are completed & after then the tank is delivered. During the course of next few week from date of delivery, livestock are decided and introduced into the tank. The complete process takes approximately 45 days from the date of inception to the date delivery is done.

There are other variable factors involved during this process, that is every hardware (super clear glass, substrates, wood, stones, filters, lily pipes etc) can be sourced locally or can be a absolute import. If one decides on "import" then the sourcing takes a little more time, mine tank was built from the scratch. Coming to live-stock either you can import it or choose from local breeders. In my case everything from the start to finish was "imports" so took 50+ days to deliver the final product. The final phase is you get into a AMC (annual maintenance contract) with bi-monthly servicing done by the service provider themselves.

This is why I wrote cycling process is done where the tank was built. :)

Reactions: enrique4jc
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store