Skirt Tetra Community Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TBear

AC Members
Aug 31, 2018
Mine. Are doing well after the medication I applied also, and my live plants are good too. Going to go buy some more next week, and maybe change the fake rock out for driftwood.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Great!! So, you're pretty much stocked, right? You don't plan on adding more fish, do you? Stop! You're finished. Enjoy your tank & let you fish & plants grow.

Sorry, I got a bit confused between your & TBear's problems

Reido Dorito

AC Members
Jun 6, 2017
Cool, cool. Glad to hear that it's working out! And yeah, I'm a big fan of driftwood. Check out spiderwood, if you get the chance. It's just so nice-looking.

Yeah, I guess so. Unless at some point I decide to check out invertebrates or something. It's funny that you mention my fish growing, though; the juveniles (I'm talking like maybe an inch long) I got a couple weeks ago are getting almost as big as my adults. It's pretty amazing to watch, actually.

Reido Dorito

AC Members
Jun 6, 2017
Great! I'm glad to hear they're getting along well!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
So, RD, I've kinda lost your original thread in all this "byplay". ( but that can be good too.)

How is everything going for you now? Pics? What's happening?

Reido Dorito

AC Members
Jun 6, 2017
Everything's going really well! Thank you for asking!

Haven't really noticed any aggression out of the norm, either. There are eight tetras in there, and I think that covers the minimum requirements pretty well. They pick on each other constantly, but it never seems to get serious.

I do have a question, however: I've read pretty much everywhere that these guys are bottom dwellers, but I'm finding the contrary to be true; they stay in their little territories at the bottom of the tank all day, but when I switch over to the night light/turn off the light, they all make a migration to the top of the tank together. Did you ever experience anything like this? I just thought it was odd that everywhere says they all stay toward the top layer of the tank.

Sorry for the late reply, btw.

Here are some pics (sorry for the crappy quality)IMG_20181108_173017587.jpg :
IMG_20181108_173004748.jpg IMG_20181108_173000077.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Looks good!

No, most tetras are "mid-water" fish. Often in the middle of the tank, slightly lower or higher, but not really bottom 1/4 or top 1/4 of the tank...except at feeding, then they might be anywhere...to snarf up lots of food in a short period of time. They may still strike food but they're likely not really swallowing it much.

I think your tetras are fine. A bit of chasing is what many "schooling" fish do, but there should not be much, if any, damage. That can occur if kept in too small of groups. 8 seems like a good number to spread out any aggression & no 1 fish is picked on all the time.

To my casual look, it seems you have good mix of genders too. A lone female can be pestered by too many males.

Reactions: Reido Dorito

Reido Dorito

AC Members
Jun 6, 2017
Thanks! This was my first go-round with a cycling tank ich treatment, etc., so I'm really thankful these little guys turned out alright. Thank you for all of your help throughout, as well. =D

Yeah, I rarely see any tears in fins or anything like that. Glad they're getting along so well.

Yeah, I've been trying to figure out how to tell their gender. I'm pretty sure the females will appear to be more "full" near their abdomen, and the males will be skinny all the way (in breeding season, especially, I think). But it's kind of hard to tell with these guys. Got any tips, by chance?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store